Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resultant Gamma after Einstein velocity addition

1. Sep 21, 2011 #1
    Hello. Let's say that I am in a frame in which I see a rocket travelling at v. This rocket then fires a projectile forward with velocity u in its rest frame.

I can find u' easily enough using the Einstein velocity addition formula. However, I recall seeing a version of the formula that uses gammas instead(ie, if \gamma is defined for v and \Gamma is defined for u, then there is some compact equation for \Gamma' purely as a function of the other two gammas)

Does anyone know this formula? It is proving very difficult to derive. Thanks very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2011 #2

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you be thinking of the Relativistic Doppler Factor where you can just multiply them for multiple velocities?

4. Sep 21, 2011 #3
    Nah, I remember this came up in class on a problem of this exact sort. I seem to remember there being a \Gamma*\gamma term going on somewhere. But thanks for the analysis-- I'm sure there is a parallel with the Doppler Effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook