Velocity 4-Vector for Light Ray

In summary, the relativistic transformation of a velocity u to u' is given by a 4x4 matrix and can be used for any object with a velocity less than c. However, for light rays, which have a light-like momentum, the 4-vector structure is different and the three-velocity is always equal to the speed of light.
MikeLizzi
I hope I'm not violating Forum protocol, again.
I tried posting this question in the Homework section but it got locked for violating homework protocol.

My understanding for the relativistic transformation of a velocity u to u' is given by
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
\gamma_{u'} \\
\gamma_{u'} u'_x \\
\gamma_{u'} u'_y \\
\gamma_{u'} u'_z
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}

\gamma & -\gamma\beta_x & -\gamma\beta_y & -\gamma\beta_z \\
-\gamma\beta_x & 1+\frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_x^2}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_x\beta_y}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_x \beta_z}{\beta^2} \\

-\gamma\beta_y & \frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_x\beta_y}{\beta^2} & 1+\frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_y^2}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_y\beta_z}{\beta^2} \\

-\gamma\beta_z & \frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_x\beta_z}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_y\beta_z}{\beta^2} & 1+\frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_z^2}{\beta^2}

\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
\gamma_{u} \\
\gamma_{u} u_x \\
\gamma_{u} u_y \\
\gamma_{u} u_z
\end{bmatrix}
$$
Where v is the velocity of reference frame S' with respect to reference frame S and
$$
\beta_x = v_x/c \\
\beta_y = v_y/c \\
\beta_y = v_y/c \\
\beta^2 = \beta_x^2 + \beta_y^2 + \beta_z^2 \\
\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}} \\
\gamma_u = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta_u^2}} \\
\gamma_{u'} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta_{u'}^2}}
$$
This seems to work for any object whose velocity is less that c. But, I got the impression from a previous post that I could transform the velocity of light rays the same way I transformed the velocity of massive objects.

If I try to do that using the definitions I have above it means calculating $$\gamma_u$$ for a light ray. That's undefined. I have a 3-vector version of the velocity addition formula that doesn't require such a calculation and it works fine. Did I get the 4-vector structure wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a "light ray" there is no four-velocity in the usual sense, because it's light-like. You can take a photon (which is a quantum of the quantized electromagnetic field) momentum as a substitute. The corresponding four-momentum is
$$(p^{\mu})=\begin{pmatrix} |\vec{p}| \\ \vec{p} \end{pmatrix}.$$
It transforms as a four vector. The mass of a photon is ##p_{\mu} p^{\mu}=0##, i.e., it's a massless quantum. Of course this doesn't change under Lorentz transformations, thus a photon has a lightlike momentum in any frame, and the three-velocity is
$$\vec{v}=\frac{c\vec{p}}{|\vec{p}|} \; \Rightarrow \; |\vec{v}|=c,$$
i.e., the photon travels with the speed of light in any frame.

What is a velocity 4-vector for light ray?

A velocity 4-vector for light ray is a mathematical representation of the velocity of a light ray in four-dimensional spacetime. It includes the three spatial components of velocity (x, y, z) and the time component (t).

Why is a 4-vector used for light ray velocity instead of a regular 3-vector?

A 4-vector is used for light ray velocity because light travels at the speed of light, which is a constant in all reference frames. A regular 3-vector does not account for the time component, and therefore cannot accurately represent the velocity of light.

How is the velocity 4-vector for light ray calculated?

The velocity 4-vector for light ray is calculated using the Lorentz transformation, which takes into account the effects of special relativity on the measurement of light ray velocity in different reference frames.

What does the magnitude of the velocity 4-vector represent?

The magnitude of the velocity 4-vector represents the speed of the light ray, which is always equal to the speed of light in a vacuum (approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second).

What is the significance of the velocity 4-vector for light ray in physics?

The velocity 4-vector for light ray is significant in physics because it helps to accurately describe the behavior of light in different reference frames, and is essential for understanding the principles of special relativity.