Resultant Vectors with angles and magnitude

In summary, the resultant vector formed by forces of 0.45Newtons North and 0.85Newtons East has a length of ~0.96Newtons and an angle that can be found using the Pythagorean Theorem and the tangent function. The direction of the resultant vector can be determined by choosing an angle and identifying the opposite and adjacent sides in a vector diagram.
Loppyfoot
1. What is the resultant vector, and it's angle when the forces move 0.45Newtons North, then 0.85 Newtons East. Where does the resultant angle go, and what would the direction be?

2. I used the Pythagorean Theorom to find the length of the resultant vector.

The length of my resultant vector using the Pythagorean Theorm was ~0.96Newtons. Now, to find the resultant vector angle, I know I use Tan-1(opposite/adjacent). I just don't know which one is opposite and which one is adjacent.

Once I find that, what would the direction be in the final result?

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, drawing a vector diagram will really help you.

Draw the triangle made by the forces and the resultant force and mark the angle in question. The force that is "opposite" is the vector forming the side of this triangle that is opposite that angle.

I drew the vector diagram. So, would the angle that I am solving for be the angle that the resultant vector is coming from? (the tail)

So then would I use the cotangent (0.85/0.45)?

The angle could be any angle, just make sure you point out which angle it is.

For instance, you could pick the angle between the resultant and the x axis. Or you could pick the angle between the resultant and the y-axis. Either one is correct, but the opposite and adjacent sides will switch depending on which angle you pick.

Just remember which angle you found and mark it appropriately.

If by "angle the resultant is coming from" you mean the angle between the resultant and the x-axis, then yes you are correct.

1. What is a resultant vector?

A resultant vector is a vector that represents the sum or combination of two or more individual vectors. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each individual vector to determine the overall magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a resultant vector?

The magnitude of a resultant vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual vector magnitudes. Alternatively, the magnitude can also be calculated using the law of cosines, which takes into account the angle between the vectors.

3. What is the importance of knowing the angle and magnitude of a resultant vector?

Knowing the angle and magnitude of a resultant vector is important in many scientific fields, particularly in physics and engineering. It allows us to accurately represent and analyze the motion and forces acting on objects, and to predict the outcome of complex systems and interactions.

4. How do you graphically represent a resultant vector?

A resultant vector can be represented graphically using a vector diagram, where the individual vectors are drawn to scale and then added together using the head-to-tail method. The length and direction of the resulting vector can then be determined from the diagram.

5. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?

A scalar quantity only has magnitude, while a vector quantity has both magnitude and direction. For example, speed is a scalar quantity as it only represents how fast an object is traveling, while velocity is a vector quantity as it also includes the direction of motion.