Resultant Velocities / Elastic Collision / 1-D?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving an elastic head-on collision between two carts. The conversation covers topics such as changing frames of reference, conservation of physical quantities (linear momentum and kinetic energy), and solving for the final velocities of the carts. The final answer is reached by using equations derived from simplifying the algebra. The end goal is to determine the maximum compression of a spring involved in the collision.
julianwitkowski
[Moderator's note: No template because the thread had attracted a fair number of responses before being moved out of Classical]

Hey it's my first post, so I apologize in advance if this is under the wrong forum category... I am just wondering if I did I do this right? If not can you please show me what I've done wrong and show your corrected math.

Thank you!

In an elastic head-on collision, a 0.60 kg cart moving at 5.0 m/s [W] collides with a 0.80 kg cart moving at 2.0 m/s [E].

What is the final velocity of each cart after the collision?

First I changed the frame of reference...

FROM [0.8 kg @ 2 m/s]----> <----[0.6 kg @ -5 m/s]

TO [0.8 kg @ 7 m/s]----> <----[0.6 kg @ 0 m/s] (are these equations right?)

My work...

v₁'=[(m₁-m₂)/(m₁+m₂)]*v₁

v₁'=[(0.8-0.6)/(0.8+0.6)]*7

v₁'=1 v₂'=[(2* m₁)/(m₁+m₂)]*v₁

v₂'=[(2* 0.8)/(0.8+0.6)]*7

v₂'=8 Final Velocities

vₓ₁= v₁' + -5

vₓ₁= 1 + -5

vₓ₁= -4 m/s vₓ₂= v₂' + -5

vₓ₂= 8 + -5

vₓ₂= 3 m/s The final velocity for the 0.8 kg is 4 m/s [W]

The final velocity for the 0.6 kg is 3 m/s [E]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Elastic collision: what all is conserved?

Bystander said:
Elastic collision: what all is conserved?
The collision is cushioned by a spring (k = 1200 N/m), but that's only necessary for the second question which is "What is the max compression of the spring?"

What physical quantities are conserved in an elastic collision?

Bystander said:
What physical quantities are conserved in an elastic collision?
Can you please tell me? I don't know...

You jest. Linear momentum is conserved. Kinetic energy is conserved. You have covered those two concepts, have you not?

Bystander said:
You jest. Linear momentum is conserved. Kinetic energy is conserved. You have covered those two concepts, have you not?
I don't know, I'm not really good at physics, but that's what the textbook says to do; however, someone asked about this problem on Yahoo answers, and my answer is different from the person who answered it (who is highly ranked in the physics answers section)... I think if I got anything wrong its going back to the ground observer's frame of reference.

One step at a time. What is the linear momentum of the westbound cart? What is the linear momentum of the eastbound cart? Calculate those two values for me, and do NOT shift reference frames, it ain't necessary.

Bystander said:
One step at a time. What is the linear momentum of the westbound cart? What is the linear momentum of the eastbound cart? Calculate those two values for me, and do NOT shift reference frames, it ain't necessary.

Do you mean like this?

east

p = m*v = 0.8 kg * 2 m/s = 1.6 N/s

west

p = m*v = 0.6 kg * -5 m/s = -3 N/s

Close. Instead of N/s you'll get units of linear momentum, mass x velocity, or kg⋅m/s. Numbers are good. Now, what is the total linear momentum of the system (that's both carts)? And, we can start on step 2: what is the kinetic energy of westbound? What is kinetic energy of eastbound?

Bystander said:
Close. Instead of N/s you'll get units of linear momentum, mass x velocity, or kg⋅m/s. Numbers are good. Now, what is the total linear momentum of the system (that's both carts)? And, we can start on step 2: what is the kinetic energy of westbound? What is kinetic energy of eastbound?

p = (m ⋅v) + (m ⋅v) = -1.4 kg ⋅m/s

west ke = ½ m ⋅v² = ½ 0.8 ⋅2² = 1.6 J
east ke = ½ m ⋅v² = ½ 0.6 ⋅-5² = 7.5 J

total ke = ( ½ m ⋅v²)+( ½ m ⋅v²) = 9.1 J

Good. You now have two equations in two unknowns, vE and vW. Solve the total momentum for either in terms of the other, substitute that into the total kinetic energy, and you'll get a quadratic which you can solve. You'll get two roots, and one should be obviously useless, take the other back to total momentum and solve for both velocities.

Bystander said:
Good. You now have two equations in two unknowns, vE and vW. Solve the total momentum for either in terms of the other, substitute that into the total kinetic energy, and you'll get a quadratic which you can solve. You'll get two roots, and one should be obviously useless, take the other back to total momentum and solve for both velocities.

I read my textbook more, and it said, the whole reason you change the frame of reference is to avoid doing all this work, because when you simplify the algebra it comes out to the equations I showed in my question... So really, all I wanted was to see if you got the same answer yourself doing it that I did... The Ke and momentum are of no consequence because they will divide out.

1. What is a resultant velocity?

A resultant velocity is the overall velocity of an object after taking into account all of its individual component velocities. It is calculated by vector addition, where the magnitude and direction of each component velocity are taken into consideration.

2. How is an elastic collision defined?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision, and no energy is lost or gained during the interaction.

3. What is the difference between 1-D and 2-D collisions?

In a 1-D collision, the objects involved are moving in a straight line and all of the velocities are along the same axis. In a 2-D collision, the objects may have velocities in multiple directions and the collision occurs in a two-dimensional space. This adds an additional level of complexity to the calculations.

4. How do you calculate the final velocities in an elastic collision?

The final velocities in an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and initial velocities of the objects involved.

5. What factors affect the resultant velocities in an elastic collision?

The resultant velocities in an elastic collision are affected by the masses and initial velocities of the objects involved. The angle of collision and the coefficient of restitution, which represents the elasticity of the objects, also play a role in determining the final velocities.