Resume Question: Listing your job title

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter fizzziks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job Resume
In summary, when writing a resume, it is important to tailor it to the specific company and job you are pursuing. This may involve including specific details such as the company and division you worked for, and potentially even the team or group you were a part of. However, the amount of detail included should depend on how closely related the internship was to the job you are applying for. As for titles, it is important to use the official title given by the company, but specifying a little more can be helpful if it accurately reflects your role and does not mislead the employer. Ultimately, it is important to be truthful on a resume, and a good rule of thumb is to ensure that if a former supervisor were asked about the information on your
fizzziks
My current title as an intern is pretty boring: "Engineering Intern"... do I have to list that official title on my resume, or can I specify a little more like "Hardware Engineering Intern," "Software Engineering Intern," etc?

Also, what should I put assuming I've worked for Company X, in their Y division, and more specifically with the Z engineering team/group.

Should I put X and Y, or X and Z for my experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
Resumes should be written for the company you're pursuing. To answer your second question first, I'd say the amount of detail you provide is determined by how close the job you're applying for is to what you did as an intern. If it's very close, then I would include X, Y, and Z. If it's not very close, I'd leave out Z because the prospective employer probably won't care. I think you should include Y.

As for titles, some companies are strict about them and others aren't. If your company is strict, you've got to use what they gave you. I certainly don't see any harm in being a little more specific in your title as per your example if it clarifies you job to the employer and doesn't mislead.

My standard for truthfulness on a resume is that if my prospective employer were to call up my former supervisor and read him what my resume said and ask "Is it truthful?", my supervisor would answer yes. That still leaves some wiggle room.

it is important to accurately represent your experience and qualifications on your resume. In this case, it would be best to list your job title as "Engineering Intern" and specify the specific type of engineering work you performed, such as "Hardware Engineering Intern" or "Software Engineering Intern." This will give potential employers a better understanding of your skills and experience.

When listing your experience with Company X, it would be appropriate to include both the division (Y) and the specific engineering team or group (Z) that you worked with. This will provide a more detailed and comprehensive overview of your experience with the company. However, if space is limited on your resume, you may choose to only include one or the other, depending on which is more relevant to the position you are applying for. It is also important to be consistent throughout your resume, so if you choose to only include X and Y, make sure to do so for all of your previous experiences with the company.

1. What should I include in my job title on my resume?

When listing your job title on your resume, it is important to include the official title given to you by your employer. This ensures accuracy and consistency between your resume and your employment records. Additionally, you may want to include any relevant keywords that highlight your specific role and responsibilities within the company.

2. How do I format my job title on my resume?

The most common format for listing job titles on a resume is to include the company name, your job title, and the dates of employment. This can be done in a few different ways, such as using bullet points or separating each job with a horizontal line. It is important to be consistent with the formatting throughout your resume.

3. Should I use my current job title or a previous one on my resume?

If you are currently employed, it is typically recommended to use your current job title on your resume. However, if you held a more senior or relevant position in a previous job, you may choose to use that title instead. Just be sure to explain any changes in job titles within your work experience section.

4. Can I change my job title on my resume to better reflect my responsibilities?

While it may be tempting to embellish your job title on your resume to make it sound more impressive, it is not recommended. Employers often conduct background checks and verify job titles, so it is important to be truthful. Instead, you can use the bullet points under your job title to highlight your specific accomplishments and responsibilities.

5. Do I need to list all of my job titles on my resume?

It is not necessary to list every single job title you have held on your resume. Instead, focus on the most relevant and recent positions that showcase your skills and qualifications for the job you are applying for. If you have a long work history, you can summarize earlier job titles under a single section, such as "Previous Experience" or "Early Career."