1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Return to school for graduate degree?

  1. Jun 14, 2017 #1
    I want to go back and get my masters and doctorate, but at the moment I teach High School. Going back would be impossible due to the times of classes, and I can't afford to quit my job. Is it possible to work around this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2017 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    It seems as if you've answered your own question. If you can't quit your job and don't have the time to go to school because of your job, then I'm not sure what you can do. Get a different job perhaps?
  4. Jun 14, 2017 #3


    User Avatar
    Education Advisor

    To the OP:

    It's worth keeping in mind that when you enter a PhD program, more often than not you will be provided funding or a stipend to cover living costs as a part of your acceptance package (if you do not, that is essentially the equivalent of being rejected). The situation for a Masters program tends to be different, where self-funding tends to be more common.

    You say you can't afford to quit your job. Do you have any type of savings involved that can help you as you prepare to return for graduate studies?

    At some stage, you will have to make a decision -- whether to continue your current career path as a high school teacher or to pursue graduate studies, because in all likelihood, you cannot do both due to the time commitments for either endeavour.
  5. Jun 14, 2017 #4


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Degree in what? If you give us more information, we can help you better (obviously)...
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted