1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Returning to college: computer science/physics

1. Feb 24, 2015 #1
    I'm returning to college this year (it's been two years since my last class) with the intent of double majoring in comp. sci. and physics. I have the goal of applying to a quantum physics/computing PhD program upon finishing my bachelors. Any tips on living, working, and schooling accommodations? Will a help desk job allow enough flexibility in order to continue with my college obligations? (Will be finishing my comptiacerts at the end of this year.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

It would seem for your PhD plan that you need a strong basis in quantum theory and less so in computer science. I'd talk with your physics adviser about your plans so they can steer you to the right set of courses.

You might also want to contact people at one of the grad schools that offers this program and ask what do they look for in a grad student as far as undergrad courses.

4. Feb 25, 2015 #3
    I see. Thank you so much for your advise. :)

5. Feb 25, 2015 #4
    I also suggest not fully majoring in CS, consider a CS minor or engineering physics with a CS concentration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook