1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

REU if not enrolled in degree program?

  1. Dec 23, 2014 #1
    Is it possible to do an REU without being currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program? Some REU descriptions do state this is a requirement. Others seem to expect it, but don't explicitly rule out other possibilities. Does anyone have experience with this?

    I have a bachelor's degree in English and a few credits of undergrad math classes (including some upper division), taken as a non-degree-seeking student; otherwise self-taught.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2014 #2

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

    No. "An undergraduate student is a student who is enrolled in a degree program (part-time or full-time) leading to a baccalaureate or associate degree... Students who have received their bachelor's degrees and are no longer enrolled as undergraduates are generally not eligible to participate."
  4. Dec 23, 2014 #3


    User Avatar
    Education Advisor

    I've been looking at internships and REU's quite a bit lately, and I haven't come across any. All of the ones that I've seen have clearly stated that one must be currently enrolled in a degree seeking program in an undergraduate program.
  5. Dec 23, 2014 #4
    Some of the labs might accept you. Fermilab has a program for US citizens and international applicants, and they accept students that have already gradauted.


    You might also want to check out Los Alamos
  6. Feb 14, 2015 #5
    Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. I sent out a bunch of queries. Most did say I wouldn't be eligible. A couple said I would. Someone also suggested to me the IMMERSE program for pre-grads at Nebraska: http://www.math.unl.edu/programs/mctp/immerse
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: REU if not enrolled in degree program?
  1. Summer REU Programs (Replies: 4)