1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

REU recommendations and feedback

1. Sep 15, 2012 #1
    Hello all, I am not sure if I am posting in the correct place. Im currently in community college, for now I think I am doing physics. Regarding the courses for physics, am currently taking mechanics and calculus 2. Spring I will take physics 2 which I believe is electricity and magnetism as well as calculus 3, and I am thinking of linear algebra or diff equations (possibly both). I have heard of REUs for undergrads, wanted to get some feedback of experiences, how the process works, when I should start applying (if I should), or any other information regarding.
    -thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2012 #2
    Anyone?

4. Sep 21, 2012 #3
    I did an REU at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and loved every minute of it.

Here's a link to the NSF page that talks about REUs: http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm

Good luck.

5. Sep 21, 2012 #4

eri

Many REU programs are not open to students at community colleges. You may have to wait until you transfer to apply for them. The other option is to try to find a local college or university willing to take you on for the summer, but don't expect them to pay you.

6. Sep 21, 2012 #5
    Most REUS are open to students from community colleges. Where are you getting your information from eri?

However, most REUS aren't specifically tailored for community college students, but that's about it. There are a couple that are made for community college students though.

Look up CCI & CCRP at BNL. Also look up the physics REU at Queensborough community college sponsored by CUNY (though they won't give you housing so commuting is a must for this one).

Your also eligible to apply for most REUS out there, just check out the nsf page that Geezer shared.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook