REU recommendations and feedback

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking information about REUs (Research Experience for Undergraduates) for physics. They are currently in community college and taking courses in mechanics, calculus, and planning to take physics 2 and additional math courses in the spring. They are looking for experiences and information about the application process for REUs and have heard mixed information about eligibility for community college students. Some resources and programs for community college students to consider are CCI & CCRP at BNL and the physics REU at Queensborough community college. It is recommended to check the NSF page for more information and eligibility requirements.
Jkohn
Hello all, I am not sure if I am posting in the correct place. I am currently in community college, for now I think I am doing physics. Regarding the courses for physics, am currently taking mechanics and calculus 2. Spring I will take physics 2 which I believe is electricity and magnetism as well as calculus 3, and I am thinking of linear algebra or diff equations (possibly both). I have heard of REUs for undergrads, wanted to get some feedback of experiences, how the process works, when I should start applying (if I should), or any other information regarding.
-thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

I did an REU at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and loved every minute of it.

Here's a link to the NSF page that talks about REUs: http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm

Good luck.

Many REU programs are not open to students at community colleges. You may have to wait until you transfer to apply for them. The other option is to try to find a local college or university willing to take you on for the summer, but don't expect them to pay you.

Most REUS are open to students from community colleges. Where are you getting your information from eri?

However, most REUS aren't specifically tailored for community college students, but that's about it. There are a couple that are made for community college students though.

Look up CCI & CCRP at BNL. Also look up the physics REU at Queensborough community college sponsored by CUNY (though they won't give you housing so commuting is a must for this one).

Your also eligible to apply for most REUS out there, just check out the nsf page that Geezer shared.

1. What is the purpose of REU recommendations and feedback?

The purpose of REU recommendations and feedback is to provide constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement to participants in the REU program. This helps them to grow and develop as researchers, and also ensures that the program is meeting its goals and objectives.

2. How are REU recommendations and feedback typically given?

REU recommendations and feedback are typically given through written evaluations, either during or at the end of the program. They may also be given through one-on-one meetings with mentors or through group discussions and presentations.

3. Who is responsible for providing REU recommendations and feedback?

The main responsibility for providing REU recommendations and feedback falls on the mentors and advisors of the REU program. However, participants may also receive feedback from other researchers and colleagues they work with during the program.

4. What should I do if I receive negative feedback in my REU recommendations?

It is important to remember that negative feedback is meant to help you grow and improve as a researcher. Take the feedback seriously and use it to make changes and adjustments in your work. You can also discuss the feedback with your mentor or advisor to get a better understanding of how to improve.

5. Can I use REU recommendations and feedback for my future academic or career pursuits?

Yes, you can use REU recommendations and feedback to improve your skills and knowledge as a researcher, and also to showcase your strengths and areas of improvement to potential employers or graduate programs. It is important to take the feedback seriously and use it to continue growing and developing in your field.