REU Requirements for Physics Sophomores - Can I Apply Now?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cdotter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reu
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
cdotter
Messages
305
Reaction score
0
In general, what are the course requirements for a physics REU? I've found a few that ask only for calculus I/II and physics I/II; others asking for 2 semesters of upper level physics courses; and some neglect to mention anything.

By the end of the spring semester I'll have calculus I-II, physics I-II, linear algebra, and diff eq. I complete (maybe calculus III depending on when I do the credit-by-examination.)

Should I even bother applying with so few classes? Am I better off waiting until next year when I'll have modern physics I-II, diff eq. II, electronics, and physical mechanics under my belt?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't remember REUs asking for specific courses when I applied. Often one of the biggest things they consider is whether you've already done research at your own school. It can be much easier to get an REU, even as a freshman or sophomore, if you've gotten a start at your own school.
 
eri said:
I don't remember REUs asking for specific courses when I applied. Often one of the biggest things they consider is whether you've already done research at your own school. It can be much easier to get an REU, even as a freshman or sophomore, if you've gotten a start at your own school.

That's the problem: my school has a very small physics department (3 professors) with a non-existent physics laboratory. :cry:
 
cdotter said:
That's the problem: my school has a very small physics department (3 professors) with a non-existent physics laboratory. :cry:

REU'S are designed around students like you. I also came from a small program and ended up getting an REU after my sophomore and junior years.

It will be extremely competitive either way, and a previous REU is the best thing to have on your resume for an REU!

But know that being from a small school won't (or at least shouldn't) hurt you in an REU application.
 
You don't need a lab; your professors do some sort of research, and they're usually hired to teach at small schools because they can get undergrads involved in their research. Talk to them. Even if they can't help you, they might have connections at a nearby school or somewhere else where you can get started on research.