1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer 2012 math REU? (Current sophomore)

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    Hey everyone,

I'm a sophomore math and ME major (long story), and as the title suggests, want to take part in a math REU program this summer. I have taken calculus I-III, am currently taking a first course in proofs (Set Theory and Logic), applied linear algebra, and introductory ODEs. Next semester I will be taking upper-level linear algebra, number theory, partial differential equations, and statistics for scientists and engineers. I also know python, java, mathematica, and less extensively both matlab and latex. I am a tutor in my schools math center, too, if that would help.

I am interested in applied math (mathematical modeling in particular), and was hoping to find out how realistic it is for someone with my background to get into an REU program as a sophomore. I have a 4.0 in math (3.667 overall) and expect mostly As this semester (definitely in math courses, at the very least). I think my calc I-II teacher would give a great recommendation (a lecturer, not professor if that matters), and my current differential equations professor too.

thanks to anyone who can help!

-anonymous

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2
    That's definitely doable! I did an REU the summer after my sophomore year and had a lighter background than you will. Just apply to lots of places, even if they aren't a perfect fit to your interests. Letters of recommendation are also key. Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook