Reversible adiabatic expansion -- calculate change in E

In summary, the homework statement states that an ideal gas expands reversibly and adiabatically from one volume to another, and that the internal energy changes by a certain amount. The solution to the homework statement involves integrating over the initial and final states, and using the first law of thermodynamics.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Calculate the change in internal energy of an ideal gas the expands reverisbly and adiabatically from ##v_i## to ##v_f##

Homework Equations

##pV^{\gamma} = constant ##*, where ##\gamma=\frac{c_p}{c_v}##
for a reversible adiabatic.

##E=\alpha p V##, ##\alpha## a constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution does

##E=\alpha pV##

##\implies## ##E_f-E_i=\alpha (p_fV_f-p_iV_i) = W##

(And then continues to eliminate a variable using * which I am fine with etc)

MY QUESTION IS

(by the first law) ##dE=dW=-pdV##

But I don't understand how we can simply do ##p_fV_f-p_iV_i ## because I thought that, in general, ##p=p(V)## and so we need to integrate over ##p## instead of just looking at the initial and final state.(unless a process is isochoric - ##p(vf-vi)=W##).

Or in general would this be the case but due to * we do not need to integrate ? (if so how can this be seen)

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have ##p_iV_i^\gamma = k = p_fV_f^\gamma##, so the work done is
$$W = -k\int_{V_i}^{V_f} V^{-\gamma}\,dV = -k\frac{V_f^{-\gamma+1}}{-\gamma+1}+k\frac{V_i^{-\gamma+1}}{-\gamma+1}.$$ Replace the first instance of ##k## with ##p_fV_f^\gamma## and the second with ##p_iV_i^\gamma##. What do you end up with?

You can find W by integrating PdV. Following Vela, you should find that you get the correct result.

However, the first law tells you that for this process W must equal ΔE. Finding ΔE does not require any integration.

vela said:
You have ##p_iV_i^\gamma = k = p_fV_f^\gamma##, so the work done is
$$W = -k\int_{V_i}^{V_f} V^{-\gamma}\,dV = -k\frac{V_f^{-\gamma+1}}{-\gamma+1}+k\frac{V_i^{-\gamma+1}}{-\gamma+1}.$$ Replace the first instance of ##k## with ##p_fV_f^\gamma## and the second with ##p_iV_i^\gamma##. What do you end up with?

I have seen this method of doing it, and I understand that, that is fine.

What I don't understand is what I asked.

If you follow through with my suggestion, you end up with the result you're asking about. How does that not answer your question?

vela said:
If you follow through with my suggestion, you end up with the result you're asking about. How does that not answer your question?
that tells me that you are doing is correct.the two methods are the same

it doesn't tell me how or why it is okay to not need a ##p=p(v)## and integrate.

binbagsss said:
it doesn't tell me how or why it is okay to not need a ##p=p(v)## and integrate.
If you're going to calculate the work to find ##\Delta E##, then you do need to do exactly that.

As TSny noted, the other way is to find ##\Delta E = E_f - E_i## directly. What does the internal energy of an ideal gas depend on?

Likes Chestermiller
vela said:
If you're going to calculate the work to find ##\Delta E##, then you do need to do exactly that.

As TSny noted, the other way is to find ##\Delta E = E_f - E_i## directly. What does the internal energy of an ideal gas depend on?

temperature

binbagsss said:
But I don't understand how we can simply do ##p_fV_f-p_iV_i ## because I thought that, in general, ##p=p(V)## and so we need to integrate over ##p## instead of just looking at the initial and final state.(unless a process is isochoric - ##p(vf-vi)=W##).

(1) Integrating by parts gives ##\int_i^fpdV = (pV) |_i^f - \int_i^fVdp##.

(2) For an adiabatic process, show that ##Vdp = -\gamma pdV##.

Combine (1) and (2) to show that ##\int_i^fpdV## can be expressed in terms of just ##(pV)|_i^f## and ##\gamma##.

What is reversible adiabatic expansion?

Reversible adiabatic expansion is a thermodynamic process in which a gas expands without any heat exchange with the surroundings. This means that the temperature of the gas remains constant during the expansion.

What is the equation used to calculate the change in energy during reversible adiabatic expansion?

The equation used is ΔE = -nCvΔT, where ΔE is the change in energy, n is the number of moles of gas, Cv is the specific heat at constant volume, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

How is reversible adiabatic expansion different from irreversible adiabatic expansion?

In reversible adiabatic expansion, the gas expands slowly and is always in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings, while in irreversible adiabatic expansion, the gas expands quickly and is not in thermal equilibrium with the surroundings.

What are some real-life examples of reversible adiabatic expansion?

A common example is the expansion of air in a bicycle pump. Another example is the expansion of gas in a piston-cylinder system.

How does reversible adiabatic expansion relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

Reversible adiabatic expansion is an example of an adiabatic process, which means no heat is exchanged. This relates to the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.