Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reversing Logarithmic Integral Function

1. Apr 9, 2010 #1
    The logarithmic integral function, which is what you get by integrating 1/ln(x), is closely linked to prime numbers. It approximates the number of primes smaller than x. Heres an infinite series which describes the function:

[tex]li(x)=\gamma+ln(ln(x))+\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{ln(x)^n}{n*n!}[/tex]

where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is the Euler–Mascheroni constant.

This infinite series is a continuous function and maps x to li(x) on a 1-to-1 basis.
    Therefore, in theory there should be an inverse function of li, right? But I'm having difficulty finding it.

Thanks for any help guys :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2010 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As long as you skip values below, say, 2 to avoid the singularity there's an inverse. But I don't know of any nice form for it.

If you want to calculate its value, that's simple enough to do with a series expansion, a calculation of li at that point, and a correction.

4. Apr 9, 2010 #3
    I'm looking into this for a computer program actually, so I dont need it in mathematical notion - just something I can put into an algorithm :)

Also if its easier with a finite limit on the series then thats ok. I just cant find or work out an inverse of it :S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook