Reversing Logarithmic Integral Function

In summary, the logarithmic integral function is closely linked to prime numbers and approximates the number of primes smaller than x. It can be represented by an infinite series that includes the Euler-Mascheroni constant. This series is a continuous function and has an inverse as long as values below 2 are skipped. However, there is no known closed form for this inverse function, but it can be calculated through a series expansion and correction.
cameronm
The logarithmic integral function, which is what you get by integrating 1/ln(x), is closely linked to prime numbers. It approximates the number of primes smaller than x. Heres an infinite series which describes the function:

[tex]li(x)=\gamma+ln(ln(x))+\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{ln(x)^n}{n*n!}[/tex]

where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is the Euler–Mascheroni constant.

This infinite series is a continuous function and maps x to li(x) on a 1-to-1 basis.
Therefore, in theory there should be an inverse function of li, right? But I'm having difficulty finding it.

Thanks for any help guys :)

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you skip values below, say, 2 to avoid the singularity there's an inverse. But I don't know of any nice form for it.

If you want to calculate its value, that's simple enough to do with a series expansion, a calculation of li at that point, and a correction.

I'm looking into this for a computer program actually, so I don't need it in mathematical notion - just something I can put into an algorithm :)

Also if its easier with a finite limit on the series then that's ok. I just can't find or work out an inverse of it :S

1. How is the logarithmic integral function defined?

The logarithmic integral function, denoted as Li(x), is defined as the integral of 1/ln(t) from 2 to x, where ln(t) is the natural logarithm of t.

2. What is the relation between the logarithmic integral function and the prime number theorem?

The logarithmic integral function is closely related to the prime number theorem, which states that the number of primes less than or equal to x is asymptotically equivalent to Li(x) as x approaches infinity. In other words, Li(x) is a good approximation for the number of primes below x.

3. Can the logarithmic integral function be expressed in terms of elementary functions?

No, the logarithmic integral function cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions such as polynomials, exponential, or trigonometric functions. It is a special function that can only be defined through an integral.

4. How is the inverse of the logarithmic integral function calculated?

The inverse of the logarithmic integral function can be calculated using the Lambert W function, which is the inverse function of xe^x. The inverse of Li(x) is denoted as W(x), so Li(W(x)) = x. However, there is no closed-form expression for W(x), so it must be approximated numerically.

5. What are the applications of the logarithmic integral function?

The logarithmic integral function has various applications in number theory, particularly in the study of prime numbers and their distribution. It is also used in the analysis of algorithms and in physics, specifically in the study of black holes. Additionally, it has applications in other areas such as statistics, finance, and computer science.