Need Help: Calc, GPA, and Grad School.

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore studying physics and astronomy at a top private engineering school. They struggled during their freshman year but are currently doing well in their classes and hope to raise their cumulative GPA. They are concerned about their chances of getting into a good grad school due to some poor grades in calculus and E&M. They plan to improve their grades and get research experience to boost their chances.
nphysics123
Hello everyone. I'm currently a sophomore working toward a BS in physics (and a minor in astronomy) at a top private engineering school. With the semester finishing up, I'm a little worried about where I am now and where I will be after graduation and I have a few questions.

A little background: My freshman year was okay. I came out of mechanics with a B+ and most of my other classes were Bs or As. Unfortunately, my second semester required taking Biology, Chemistry and Electricity & Magnetism (and the recitations that go with them) at the same time along with a few other classes. I was pretty overloaded with work and was doing almost nothing except eating, sleeping, and school work. I found it very hard to properly study for all of these classes (especially since almost all exams I had were given during the same week for each class) and I passed E&M with a C+. I also passed my first semester calc class with a C+ and finished freshman year with a Cumulative 3.096 GPA.

Freshman year was pretty rough, but I do feel that I am improving. At the moment, I have an A in my optics class and my two other physics lab classes, a B+ in my circuits class, an A in one of my humanities elective classes, and a C in my multivariable calc class. I expect to finish with these grades and expect to raise my cumulative GPA to about a 3.15 (3.4 semester GPA). Other than my differential equations class and my intro to calc class (I took this over the summer before freshman year to get ahead), my grades in calc are going to be Cs and I am kind of bummed about it. I understand the material, but I have a history of not being a very good test taker and most of my poor grades go back to running out of time on exams. When it comes to applying the concepts I learned in calc to physics, I don't have a problem and usually end up doing pretty well.

With all of this, I'm wondering what my chances of getting into average or even good grad schools are, and what I can do to raise those chances. It really bothers me that I can't do anything about my E&M grade and that some of my calc grades are rather poor. How much will admissions pay attention to these classes? Should I kiss the chances of getting into a top-tier school goodbye? Will it make a difference if I manage to do much better in my later physics and math classes and perform well on the GRE? My classes for my minor will provide somewhat of a boost and I'm hoping to raise my general GPA to at least a 3.5 by the end of junior year and have a major GPA of at least a 3.7+. (And a side question: how difficult will it be to get accepted into a summer REU with my grades? I'm getting some good rec letters but I feel like my grades will still be a problem. I'm applying to several programs for the upcoming summer.)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1: get research experience
Step 2: get research experience
Step 3: get research experience
Step 4: GET RESEARCH EXPERIENCE

Dishsoap said:
Step 1: get research experience
Step 2: get research experience
Step 3: get research experience
Step 4: GET RESEARCH EXPERIENCE

Did anyone mention you should get research experience?

And in the process work hard and realize the value of that letter of recommendation.

Thanks, I'm applying to a bunch of REUs for the next summer and I will keep that in mind, Dr. Courtney.

1. How do I calculate my GPA?

To calculate your GPA, you need to add up the total number of grade points you have earned and divide it by the total number of credit hours you have taken. Grade points are determined by multiplying the grade received in a class by the number of credit hours for that class. For example, if you received an A (4.0) in a 3-credit class, your grade points for that class would be 12. Repeat this process for all your classes and then divide the total grade points by the total credit hours.

2. What is a good GPA for graduate school?

A good GPA for graduate school varies depending on the program and university. Generally, a GPA of 3.0 or higher is considered competitive for most graduate programs. However, some programs may have higher GPA requirements. It is important to research the specific requirements for the graduate programs you are interested in.

3. Can I get into graduate school with a low GPA?

It may be possible to get into graduate school with a low GPA, but it can be more challenging. Admissions committees also look at other factors such as your GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. You may also want to consider retaking courses to improve your GPA or taking additional classes to show your academic abilities.

4. How can I improve my GPA?

To improve your GPA, you can retake courses in which you received a low grade, take additional classes to show your academic abilities, and focus on studying and preparing for exams. It is also important to attend class regularly, participate in class discussions, and seek help from professors or tutors if needed.

5. Does my GPA from my undergraduate degree matter for graduate school?

Yes, your undergraduate GPA is an important factor in the graduate school admissions process. It shows your academic abilities and potential for success in graduate-level coursework. However, some programs may also consider your GPA from your most recent coursework, especially if you have been out of school for a few years. It is important to research the specific requirements for the graduate programs you are interested in.