Rewriting sqrt[(1 + i tan t)/(1 - i tan t)] as cos t + i sin t

  • Thread starter Thread starter john425
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
john425
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
I am trying to rewrite -i arctan ix = arctanh x + c as
e^it = cos t + i sin t

I am having trouble rewriting
sqrt[ 1 + i tan t / 1 - i tan t]

as
cos t + i sin t

Is this possible or did I do something wrong?
What do I multiply the sqrts by.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When one is lost, it often helps to rewrite all trig functions in terms of sine and cosine.
 
I just need help with the algebra, if my substitutions are correct
 
Because it usually helps you see the necessary manipulations. Besides, the answer you seek is in terms of sines and cosines, so you'll have to do it sometime anyways.