Riemann Integrable <-> Continuous almost everywhere?

In summary, the function you described is not integrable, but it is integrable by the generalized Reimann integral.
holomorphic
Riemann Integrable <--> Continuous almost everywhere?

I ran across a statement somewhere in the forums saying that a function is Riemann-integrable iff it is continuous almost everywhere, i.e. if its set of discontinuities has measure 0.

Is that right?

What about the case of a function f:R->R which is, say, f(x) = c everywhere except on an interval [a,b], where f(x) = 1 if x is rational and f(x) = 0 otherwise... Doesn't the set of discontinuities have measure 0? But my intuition says this function is not integrable.

Is there an argument that explains either why the statement is false, or why the function I defined above is actually Riemann-integrable? (OR, why the set of discontinuities doesn't have measure 0... which would be a surprise).

Physics news on Phys.org

The function you described (1 at rationals, 0 otherwise) is discontinuous everywhere, not just at the rationals. Every irrational number can be expressed as a sequence of rationals, so the function is discontinuous at the irrationals as well.

mathman said:
The function you described (1 at rationals, 0 otherwise) is discontinuous everywhere, not just at the rationals. Every irrational number can be expressed as a sequence of rationals, so the function is discontinuous at the irrationals as well.

No, no, that's not the function I described. The function I described is
f(x) = c for x not in [a,b]
f(x) = 1 if x is in Q between a and b
f(x) = 0 if x is not in Q between a and b

mathman said:

Though I see how this argument applies to the function I described anyway--so the set of discontinuities has a positive measure.

This sounds pretty plausible. You do Riemann integration by first picking your sub-intervals on the real line, and then making Riemann sums. If the set of discontinuities is of measure zero, then that says that when you pick your subdivisions, the set of discontinuities will be inside of subdivisions of arbitrarily small measure. That part is going to go to zero anyway, so you get convergence.

On the other hand, if the set of discontinuities is of positive measure, then no matter how much you try to pick your subdivisions, subdivisions of measure at least e for some small value of e will have discontinuities. You don't really have a chance of working around it

This is basically just extending why you can integrate a function with one discontinuity: when you take various Riemann sums, the discontinuity can screw up the value that you add near the point, but because the discontinuity is contained inside of a box of smaller and smaller size, eventually it goes away in the limit anyway

Obviously you need some boundedness condition to avoid things like 1/x

holomorphic said:
What about the case of a function f:R->R which is, say, f(x) = c everywhere except on an interval [a,b], where f(x) = 1 if x is rational and f(x) = 0 otherwise... Doesn't the set of discontinuities have measure 0? But my intuition says this function is not integrable.

Is there an argument that explains either why the statement is false, or why the function I defined above is actually Riemann-integrable? (OR, why the set of discontinuities doesn't have measure 0... which would be a surprise).

The function you describe is not Reimann integrable but it is integrable by the generalized Reimann integral. This is the Reimann integral with a gauge. Read "A Modern Theory of Integration" by Bartle, pg12,29. The integral is zero on the Dirichlet rational characteristic function part (on [a,b]).

It's a theorem in my book, I could write down the proof if you want.

1. What is the definition of Riemann Integrable?

Riemann Integrable is a mathematical concept used to determine if a function is integrable on a given interval. It is defined as a function that can be approximated by a sequence of simpler functions with increasingly smaller intervals.

2. What does it mean for a function to be Continuous almost everywhere?

A function is Continuous almost everywhere if it is continuous at all points except for a set of measure zero. This means that the function has no disruptions or breaks in its graph except for a few isolated points.

3. How are Riemann Integrable and Continuous almost everywhere related?

If a function is Riemann Integrable, it is also Continuous almost everywhere. However, the converse is not always true. A function can be Continuous almost everywhere but not Riemann Integrable. This is because continuity is a weaker condition than Riemann Integrability.

4. What are the consequences of a function being Riemann Integrable and Continuous almost everywhere?

If a function is both Riemann Integrable and Continuous almost everywhere, it means that it is well-behaved and can be easily integrated over a given interval. This allows for the use of various mathematical techniques and formulas, making it easier to solve problems involving the function.

5. How is the Riemann Integral different from other types of integration?

The Riemann Integral differs from other types of integration, such as the Lebesgue Integral, in its approach to approximating the function. The Riemann Integral uses partitions and subintervals to approximate the function, while the Lebesgue Integral uses measures and sets. Additionally, the Riemann Integral is more limited in the types of functions it can integrate, as it requires the function to be Riemann Integrable. The Lebesgue Integral, on the other hand, can integrate a wider range of functions, including those that are not Riemann Integrable but are Lebesgue Integrable.