Is There a Mistake in Solving this Right Angle Triangle Problem?

In summary: Thus, 50 grads is a 45 degree angle. I am guessing that "grade" is a synonym for "grad". Thank you for the explanation! I've never heard of using "grads" as a unit of measurement before, so I learned something new today.
chemistry1
The number of degrees in one acute angle of a right-angled triangle is equal to the number of grades in the other; express both the angles in degrees.

So I have found the following answers :

810/17=47,05... degrees and 810/17=47,05... grades which gives 42,35... degrees

Now, the real answer is the following :

900/19=47,3... degrees and 900/19=47,3... grades which gives 42,63... degrees

The only problem with my answer is the following :

810/17degrees=900/17grades

so : 900/17 grades+ 810/17 grades = 100,5.. grades (but for the rest, everything is fine, I get get 90 degrees perfectly and respect all conditions.)

Would you count this as an error ?

Here's what I did : (Help me see the error)

x degrees= (x+x/9) grades

x grades= (x-x/9) degrees

so..

x degrees+(x-x/9)degrees=90 degrees

17x/9 degrees=90 degrees

17x=810

x=810/17 degrees

By the formulaiton of the problem, we also have 810/17 grades

Conversion

810/17 degrees=(810/17+(810/17)/9) grades=900/17 grades

and

810/17 grades=(810/17-(810/17)/9) degrees= 720/17 degrees

Can somebody tell me where I went wrong ? (By the way, I see how to obtain the "real" answer, but I don't see why mine would be wrong ...)

Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain what the term "grades" means? I've never heard of that term and a Google search isn't showing any useful links.

chemistry1 said:
Here's what I did : (Help me see the error)

x degrees= (x+x/9) grades

x grades= (x-x/9) degrees

Thanks for the link! Took me a little bit, but if ##1^{\circ} = \frac{10}{9}^g##, then ##1^g = \frac{9}{10}^{\circ}##.

##1^{\circ} = (1 + \frac{1}{9})^g \implies x^{\circ} = (x + \frac{x}{9})^g##
##1^g = (1-\frac{1}{10})^{\circ} \implies x^g = (x-\frac{x}{10})^{\circ}##

Basically, the fraction is supposed to have a denominator of 10, not 9.

So you solve the equation ##x + x - \frac{x}{10} = 90##

scurty said:
Thanks for the link! Took me a little bit, but if ##1^{\circ} = \frac{10}{9}^g##, then ##1^g = \frac{9}{10}^{\circ}##.

##1^{\circ} = (1 + \frac{1}{9})^g \implies x^{\circ} = (x + \frac{x}{9})^g##
##1^g = (1-\frac{1}{10})^{\circ} \implies x^g = (x-\frac{x}{10})^{\circ}##

Basically, the fraction is supposed to have a denominator of 10, not 9.

So you solve the equation ##x + x - \frac{x}{10} = 90##

Oh,wow, I just noticed my error!(With the 10) Thank you ! Thats why I was getting a wrong answer !

Yes, it's working ! Those are the times when I feel really ashamed of myself for doing stupid errors like this one -_____- Thank you agian!

chemistry1 said:
Yes, it's working ! Those are the times when I feel really ashamed of myself for doing stupid errors like this one -_____- Thank you agian!

We've all been there, I assure you! :biggrin:

I am used to that being called "grads", not "grades". (And "gradian" is too easily confused with "radian".) There are 100 grads in a right angle so that it measures "percentage slope".

1. What is a right angle triangle?

A right angle triangle is a triangle with one angle measuring 90 degrees, also known as a right angle. It is one of the basic shapes in geometry and is the foundation for many mathematical and scientific concepts.

2. How do you find the missing side of a right angle triangle?

To find the missing side of a right angle triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (the longest side) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. You can also use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find the missing side.

3. What is the difference between a right angle triangle and an isosceles triangle?

A right angle triangle has one angle measuring 90 degrees, while an isosceles triangle has two equal angles. In other words, all three angles in a right angle triangle are not equal, but in an isosceles triangle, two of the angles are equal.

4. Can a right angle triangle have sides with decimal values?

Yes, a right angle triangle can have sides with decimal values. In fact, most real-world applications involve right angle triangles with decimal values for sides and angles.

5. What are some real-world applications of the right angle triangle?

The right angle triangle is used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, physics, and navigation. It is used to calculate distances, heights, and angles in real-world situations, such as measuring the height of a building, determining the trajectory of a projectile, or designing a bridge.