Right Hand rule, explain please?

In summary, the right-hand rule states that if you want to determine the direction of a cross product, curl your fingers in the direction of the vector's rotation.
elephantorz
[SOLVED] Right Hand rule, explain please?

I don't have a problem, I just have issues with understanding the right-hand rule, if someone could explain it (with pictures if possible) I would appreciate it, although it might be better in person because I could see the motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the following diagram,

Axes_800.gif

The right-hand rule is defined such that it conforms to the right-hand coordinate system. In the right-handed coordinate system with the usual unit vectors (i, j, k) the cross product between i and j gives, by definition, k,

i X j = k

Which simply means that if one rotates the x-axis counter-clockwise by [itex]\pi/2[/itex] such that it lies collinear with the y-axis, then the result is the z-axis. The right-hand rule is commonly used to determine the direction of a cross product, especially in physics problems.

Consider the cross product describe above (iXj), which basically means rotating the vector i (the x-axis) toward the vector j (y-axis). Now, take your right-hand and keeping your thumb straight (as if giving the 'thumbs up') curl your fingers in the direction which the x-axis is rotating (in this case toward the y-axis). Your thumb should now be pointing straight upwards, in the direction of k (the z-axis).

Now consider the following cross product,

j X i

Using the same method as above try to curl your fingers in the direction of rotation (i.e. from the y-axis to the x-axis), you'll probably find that you'll have to turn your hand upside down. If you have done it correctly, your thumb should be pointing direction downwards (towards the negative z-axis). Hence, you have used the right hand rule to determine the cross product,

j X i = -k

Indeed, it is very difficult to describe the right-hand rule without demonstrating it. However, I hope you've found my post useful.

It was, very useful, I had never had it explained to me like that, which makes more sense seeing the diagram, thanks!

elephantorz said:
It was, very useful, I had never had it explained to me like that, which makes more sense seeing the diagram, thanks!
Glad to be of service :smile:

1. What is the Right Hand Rule?

The Right Hand Rule is a mnemonic device used to determine the direction of a magnetic field or the direction of a current in a wire. It is based on the principle that the direction of a magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of current flow.

2. How do you use the Right Hand Rule?

To use the Right Hand Rule, extend your right hand and align your thumb with the direction of the current in the wire. Then, curl your fingers towards the direction of the magnetic field. Your fingers will point in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What is the difference between the Right Hand Rule and the Left Hand Rule?

The Right Hand Rule is used to determine the direction of a magnetic field or current flow, while the Left Hand Rule is used to determine the direction of a force on a charged particle in a magnetic field.

4. When is the Right Hand Rule used in science?

The Right Hand Rule is used in physics and engineering to determine the direction of magnetic fields in electromagnets, motors, and generators. It is also used in circuit analysis to determine the direction of current flow.

5. Why is the Right Hand Rule important in science?

The Right Hand Rule is important because it allows us to visualize and understand the direction of magnetic fields and current flow in a simple and consistent way. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is used in various applications such as motors, generators, and electronic devices.