Right handed frames and Orientation

In summary, right-handed frames have the positive x-axis pointing to the right, while left-handed frames have it pointing away from the viewer. The orientation of a frame is determined by the positive x, y, and z axes, with the x-axis typically drawn horizontally and the z-axis perpendicular to the x-y plane. A frame cannot be both right-handed and left-handed, but it can be transformed by flipping the direction of the z-axis. Right-handed frames are important in scientific studies as they allow for easier comparison and analysis of data, and are commonly used in physics to describe forces, velocities, and other physical quantities.
Buri
My text says, "Note that in an arbitrary n-dimensional vector space, there is no well-defined notion of "right-handed", although there is a well defined notion of orientation."

I don't see why. An n frame (a1,a2,...,an) is called right handed in R^n if det[a1 a2 ... an] > 0, but I guess we'd have to define a determinant function on V (though I don't think this should be a problem). However, I remember that the determinant being the only alternating n-tensor on R^n, so maybe this isn't the case in an arbitrary vector space. So we could possibly get different values depending on the determinant we use since it is no longer unique.

Any clarification?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or is it because > 0 and < 0 aren't defined in an arbitrary vector space?

Anyone?

Buri said:
My text says, "Note that in an arbitrary n-dimensional vector space, there is no well-defined notion of "right-handed", although there is a well defined notion of orientation."
Your text is correct. An orthonormal matrix is a proper rotation if its determinant is one. You are confusing "right" with "proper".

"Right-handed" is special to 3 space because the associative cross product is unique to R3. (There is a non-associative cross product in R7.)

D H said:
Your text is correct. An orthonormal matrix is a proper rotation if its determinant is one. You are confusing "right" with "proper".

"Right-handed" is special to 3 space because the associative cross product is unique to R3. (There is a non-associative cross product in R7.)

I don't understand. Could you maybe explain it a bit more? I'm just lost..

I don't see how I'm confusing "right" with "proper". I didn't even know the definition of proper till you mentioned it lol

And I thought the cross product was only defined for R^3 and besides, the definition is in terms of determinants...

Buri said:
I don't see how I'm confusing "right" with "proper". I didn't even know the definition of proper till you mentioned it lol
Just because you didn't know that you are confusing "right-handed" (which applies only to R3) with "proper" (which applies generically) does not mean that that is exactly what you are doing.

D H said:
Just because you didn't know that you are confusing "right-handed" (which applies only to R3) with "proper" (which applies generically) does not mean that that is exactly what you are doing.

I never said it did. If you read that correctly, I said 'I don't see HOW I'm confusing "right" with "proper" ' and the second remark, "I didn't even know the definition of proper till you mentioned it lol" was meant to show you how I really don't see how I'm confusing the two since I didn't even know the definition.

D H said:

Is that even correct? Because I've been given a definition for right-handed in R^n and I'm assuming its well defined (because otherwise I would think its useless), but I think you're saying its only well defined for R^3.

Can anyone else help me out on this?

C'mon anyone?

Buri said:
Is that even correct? Because I've been given a definition for right-handed in R^n and I'm assuming its well defined (because otherwise I would think its useless), but I think you're saying its only well defined for R^3.

In [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex], the cross product of two basis vectors [tex]e_1\times e_2[/tex] is orthogonal to both [tex]e_1[/tex] and [tex]e_2[/tex]. Therefore it must be parallel to [tex]e_3[/tex]. If the basis is orthonormal, then the only possibility is that [tex]e_1\times e_2 = \pm e_3[/tex]. One of these signs (up to the choice of basis) is called right-handed and the other left-handed.

In [tex]\mathbb{R}^{n\neq 3}[/tex], there is no (associative) cross product, so the definition of right and left-handed makes no sense. There's no special way of taking two basis vectors and outputting a 3rd. However, the number

[tex]\sigma(e) = \text{sgn}\left( \sum_{i_1\cdots i_n} \epsilon_{i_1\cdots i_n} (e_1)_{i_1} \cdots (e_n)_{i_n}\right) = \pm 1.[/tex]

defines an equivalence class that corresponds to the orientation of an ordered basis. If we know that the basis is orthonormal, we don't need to introduce the sign function and we simply have

[tex]\sigma(e) = \\sum_{i_1\cdots i_n} \epsilon_{i_1\cdots i_n} (e_1)_{i_1} \cdots (e_n)_{i_n}= \pm 1.[/tex]

We would call a basis with [tex]\sigma(e)=1[/tex] positively-oriented, not right-handed.

If [tex]e'[/tex] is a basis obtained by a linear transformation of [tex]e[/tex], [tex]e' = T(e)[/tex] then

[tex]\sigma(e') = \text{sgn}(\det T) \sigma(e).[/tex]

When [tex]n=3[/tex], the orientation coincides with the equivalence classes of right or left-handed.

Buri said:

I don't see why. An n frame (a1,a2,...,an) is called right handed in R^n if det[a1 a2 ... an] > 0, but I guess we'd have to define a determinant function on V (though I don't think this should be a problem).
The determinant is something you can compute for a square matrix / endomorphism. If you have a frame (a1,a2,...,an), how are you going to compute "its determinant"? This only makes sense if you have already chosen some special basis in which you express this frame; then you compute the determinant of the change-of-basis matrix.

Such a choice is precisely an orientation. In R^n you have a standard choice, namely the standard basis (e1,...,en), where e_i has 1 in the i-th slot and else zero. In an abstract vector space, there is no preferred basis. Then, given two frames (a1,a2,...,an) and (b1,b2,...,bn), we say that they 'have the same orientation' if the determinant of the linear map expressing one in the other (the 'change of basis' isomorphism) has positive determinant. This is an equivalence relation with exactly TWO classes. Choosing one such class is choosing an orientation.

1. What is the difference between right-handed and left-handed frames?

Right-handed frames refer to a coordinate system in which the positive x-axis points to the right, the positive y-axis points up, and the positive z-axis points towards the viewer. Left-handed frames have the same orientation, but the z-axis points away from the viewer.

2. How do you determine the orientation of a frame?

The orientation of a frame is determined by the direction of the positive x, y, and z axes. The x-axis is typically drawn as a horizontal line, the y-axis as a vertical line, and the z-axis as a line perpendicular to the x-y plane.

3. Can a frame be both right-handed and left-handed?

No, a frame can only have one orientation. However, you can transform a frame from right-handed to left-handed by simply flipping the direction of the z-axis.

4. Why is it important to use right-handed frames in scientific studies?

Using a consistent orientation for frames allows for easier comparison and analysis of data. It also helps avoid confusion and errors when working with multiple frames or collaborating with others.

5. How are right-handed frames used in physics?

Right-handed frames are commonly used in physics to describe the direction and orientation of forces, velocities, and other physical quantities. They are also used in mathematical calculations and computer simulations to model and analyze physical systems.