Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rijuven's CardioSleeve -- stethoscope add-on for 3-lead EKG

1. Nov 20, 2015 #1

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Pretty interesting idea... A small 3-lead EKG pickup device that you attach to your stethoscope so you can acquire a basic EKG trace during your exam without having to pull out your monitor and place electrode patches on the patient... Has anyone used or seen these yet? I wonder how much weight it adds to the stethoscope...

https://rijuven.com/medicaldevices/cardiosleeve
    cardiosleeve_with_steth_portrait.png
    CS_5.png

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2015 #2

Borg

Gold Member

Nice. That's definitely one of those "why didn't I think of that?" things.

4. Nov 23, 2015 #3

Borg

Gold Member

5. Nov 23, 2015 #4
    I should have followed up with a device I made to show kids in a science class ten years ago:) I had an oscilloscope and a big lens to throw the output onto a large screen and used a styrofoam cup from Burger King with a Piezo pickup glued inside and then the signal going straight to the O'scope. Put the cup on a volunteer kid's chest and you could see the heartbeat directly on the screen, no electronics or amps needed, just the bare output of the piezo pickup going straightway to the scope and the heartbeat was visible!
    Oh well, another invention lost by me:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook