Ring Theory and Group Theory questions

In summary, a 4th year physics undergraduate with all the standard physics and math courses, as well as real analysis up to lebesgue measure theory/integration theory+hilbert spaces,etc., and grad level PDEs should be able to take courses in abstract algebra and group theory without any problems. However, if they want to understand group theory more fully, they should take ring theory first.
Coto
Hey everyone, I was hoping to grab some quick advice on these two topics. Specifically, I'm a 4th year physics undergrad with all the standard physics and math courses, as well as real analysis up to lebesgue measure theory/integration theory+hilbert spaces,etc., and grad level PDEs.

I have plans to take some abstract algebra courses as well as topology and a couple of other things this coming semester. Specifically for abstract algebra, I'm looking into ring theory and group theory. I understand group theory is used more in physics, however ring theory appears to be a prerequisite to the course. In the past this was never the case and you could take one without the other.

My question is, with the follow course descriptions, how much of group theory will I not be understanding without the ring theory course? Just want to get some outside advice on the subject before talking to the profs.

Ring theory:
Integers. Mathematical induction. Equivalence relations. Commutative rings, including the integers mod n, complex numbers and polynomials. The Chinese remainder theorem. Fields and integral domains. Euclidean domains, principal ideal domains and unique factorization. Quotient rings and homomorphisms. Construction of finite fields. Applications such as public domain encryption, Latin squares and designs, polynomial error detecting codes, and/or addition and multiplication of large integers.

Group theory:
Groups as a measure of symmetry. Groups of rigid motions. Frieze groups, and finite groups in 2 and 3 dimensions. Groups of matrices. Group actions with application to counting problems. Permutation groups. Subgroups, cosets, and Lagrange's Theorem. Quotient groups and homomorphisms.

Coto

Physics news on Phys.org
i guess there´s pretty few group therory stuff you won´t be able to gasp not knowing ring therory.
Maybe it´s a good idea to have some knowledge of the integers mod n but even that isn´t that cruicial in my opinion i don´t really see a problem taking groups without ringtheory, while ringtheory is in some sense an extension of grouptheory :)

It would probably be okay to take the courses in either order.

Ring Theory a prerequisite to Group Theory?!

Usually it's the other way around. Anyways, neither topic rely on each other at the introductory level. It doesn't matter which you take first.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Exactly what I was looking for.

1. What is the difference between Ring Theory and Group Theory?

Ring Theory and Group Theory are two branches of abstract algebra that study the properties of mathematical structures known as rings and groups, respectively. The main difference between the two is that rings allow for the presence of multiplication while groups do not. In other words, a ring is a set with two operations, addition and multiplication, satisfying certain properties, while a group is a set with one operation, typically denoted as multiplication, satisfying certain properties.

2. What are some real-world applications of Ring Theory and Group Theory?

Ring Theory and Group Theory have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, cryptography, and computer science. For example, Group Theory is used in particle physics to study symmetry and in chemistry to study molecular structures. Ring Theory is used in coding theory to construct error-correcting codes and in cryptography to design secure encryption algorithms.

3. How are Ring Theory and Group Theory related?

Ring Theory and Group Theory are closely related as they both deal with algebraic structures and share many common properties. In fact, a ring can be thought of as a group with an additional operation, and many results and theorems in Group Theory have analogues in Ring Theory. Furthermore, the concept of a group can be extended to rings by considering the set of units, i.e. elements with multiplicative inverses, in the ring.

4. Can you explain the concept of a ring homomorphism?

A ring homomorphism is a function between two rings that preserves the ring structure. In other words, it is a function that maps elements from one ring to another in such a way that the operations of addition and multiplication are preserved. This means that the function must satisfy certain properties, such as preserving the identity element and distributing over the operations. Ring homomorphisms are important in studying the relationships between different rings and can be used to prove properties and theorems about rings.

5. What is the significance of the zero divisor property in Ring Theory?

The zero divisor property is a property of rings that states that if two elements in a ring multiply to give zero, then at least one of them must be zero. This property has important consequences in Ring Theory, as it guarantees that the ring has a well-defined multiplication operation and allows for the cancellation property, which is essential in solving equations and proving theorems. Rings that do not satisfy the zero divisor property are known as integral domains and are considered to be "nicer" and more well-behaved in certain aspects of Ring Theory.