1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ripple Voltage Derivation (Full-Wave Rectifier)

1. Jan 4, 2013 #1

JJBladester

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive the ripple voltage of a full-wave rectifier with a capacitor-input filter.

2. Relevant equations

ripple_voltage.jpg

Where [itex]V_{r(pp)}[/itex] is the peak-to-peak ripple voltage and [itex]V_{DC}[/itex] is the dc (average) value of the filter's output voltage.

And [itex]V_{p(rect)}[/itex] is the unfiltered peak rectified voltage.

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]v_{C}=V_{p(rect)}e^{-t/R_LC}[/tex]

[itex]t_{dis}\approx T[/itex] when [itex]v_C[/itex] reaches its minimum value.

[tex]v_{C(min)}=V_{p(rect)}e^{-T/R_LC}[/tex]

Since [itex]RC> > T[/itex], [itex]T/R_LC[/itex] becomes much less than 1 and [itex]e^{-T/R_LC}[/itex] approaches 1 and can be expressed as

[tex]e^{-T/R_LC}\approx 1-\frac{T}{R_LC}[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]v_{C(min)}=V_{p(rect)}\left ( 1-\frac{T}{R_LC} \right )[/tex]

[tex]V_{r(pp)}=V_{p(rect)}-V_{C(min)}=V_{p(rect)}-V_{p(rect)}+\frac{V_{p(rect)}T}{R_LC}=\frac{V_{p(rect)}T}{R_LC}=\left ( \frac{1}{fR_LC} \right )V_{p(rect)}[/tex]

My issue is with the approximation that I bolded above. If [itex]e^0[/itex] approaches 1, then how does the expression [itex]e^{-T/R_LC}[/itex] approach [itex]1-\frac{T}{R_LC}[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Those are the first 2 terms of the series expansion for e^x

BTW, in your initial problem statement, that should be "with a capacitor-output filter", not "input" filter, right?

Also, are you given as part of the problem statement that T << RC? That's certainly not always the case for FWRs with output filter caps. If you want to minimize ripple, that is a requirement though.

4. Jan 4, 2013 #3

JJBladester

Gold Member

Berkeman,

Thanks for clarifying about the series expansion of e^x.

The text does say "For a full-wave rectifier with a capacitor-input filter..." I took "input" to mean that the capacitor takes the full-wave rectified input waveform and transforms it into a ripple waveform.

The T << RC approximation is simply given as "which is usually the case..." In the chapter I'm studying, it is an introduction to diodes/rectifier circuits and the goal is to get DC waveform that is as close to a horizontal line (constant voltage) as possible.

5. Jan 4, 2013 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Got it, thanks for the clarifications. And yeah, being able to assume T << RC simplifies the math a lot! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook