DCM Analysis of Cuk Converter: Finding M(D,k)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution for M(D,k) in a CUK converter operating in DCM mode. The equations for this are given and the attempt at a solution is described. However, there is confusion about a DC offset in the capacitor current and how it affects the calculations. After analyzing the equations and understanding the mistake, it is concluded that the DC component needs to be taken into account in the calculations and can be solved using simultaneous equations.
Number2Pencil

Homework Statement

Assuming that a CUK converter is operating in DCM mode (see attached image), find the solution for M(D,k). D is the duty ratio of the switch, and k...

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{V}{V_g} = M(D,k)[/tex]

[tex]k = \frac{4L_1L_2}{(L_1+L_2)(2RT_s)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The sad part is, I already have the solution guide with a semi-decent walk-through, but one part of it is really confusing me. My confusion may come from doing the problem incorrectly, so I'll go through my entire work just incase. All of our analysis has used small capacitor ripple approximation and circuit averaging.

The first subcircuit (From time 0 <= t <= D1*Ts) has the switch closed and the diode opened. Describing the inductor voltages and capacitor currents:

[tex]V_{L1} = V_g[/tex]
[tex]I_{C1} = -\frac{V}{R}[/tex]
[tex]V_{L2} = -V_{C1} - V[/tex]
[tex]I_{C2} = I_{L2} - \frac{V}{R}[/tex]

The second subcircuit (From time D1*Ts < t <= (D1+D2)*Ts) has the switch opened and the diode closed (saturated). Describing the inductor voltages and capacitor currents:

[tex]V_{L1} = V_g - V_{C1}[/tex]
[tex]I_{C1} = -I_{L1}[/tex]
[tex]V_{L2} = -V[/tex]

The third subcircuit (From time (D1+D2)*Ts < t <= Ts) has both the switch opened and the diode opened. The current through the diode has tried to go negative due to the inductor current ripples and low DC offset, thus it turned off.

[tex]V_{L1} = 0[/tex] Is this correct??
[tex]I_{C1} = -I_{L2} = I_{L1}[/tex]
[tex]V_{L2} = 0[/tex] Is this correct??

Performing circuit averaging on the inductor voltages and equating to zero (voltage-balance across switching period is a fundamental requirement for these converters):

[tex]<V_{L1}> = 0 = \frac{1}{T_s}\int{V_{L1}}dt = (D1+D2)V_g - D2V_{C1} [/tex]
[tex]<V_{L2}> = 0 = \frac{1}{T_s}\int{V_{L2}}dt = (D1+D2)(-V) - D1V_{C1} [/tex]

Doing algebra shows:

[tex]M(D,D2) = \frac{V}{V_g} = -\frac{D}{D2}[/tex]

But I still have an unknown: D2, so I need to also use the capacitor charge balance equations (another fundamental requirement). To do this, I need to determine the values of the inductor currents in terms of quantities I know. I can use geometry instead of calculus due to the small capacitor ripple approximation because, as the equations show,

1) VL1 is a DC line from t=0 to D1*Ts, the current ramps up until D1*Ts
2) then a negative DC line from D1*Ts to (D1+D2)*Ts, so current ramps back down until it reaches 0 at (D1+D2)*Ts.
3) a 0 value from (D1+D2)*Ts to Ts. Current remains at zero.

IL2 follows a similar behavior, but with reversed polarities.

So I can easily perform the averaging by geometry (triangles), I find the current peaks:

[tex]I_{L1,peak} = D_1T_sV_g\frac{1}{L_1}[/tex]
[tex]I_{L2,peak} = D_2T_s(-V)\frac{1}{L_2}[/tex]

This where I would write an equation for the average, set it to zero, and start trying to eliminate D2. BUT, in the solution, it is shown that there is a DC offset in the capacitor current (see attached image).

I don't understand where the DC offset of I3 came from, or why I should have known that.

Could someone please explain this to me.

Attachments

• Cuk.png
    Cuk.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,921
  • Sol.png
    Sol.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,248
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I see my mistake now. In my subcircuit equations, I simply put things in terms of inductor currents: IL1 & IL2.

Each of these actually need to be broken up in an AC and a DC component. I can calculate the AC component by integrating the voltage waveforms of the inductors, but the DC components just need to get carried through the simultaneous equations as an unknown variable. It turns out that both inductors have the same DC component, because in subcircuit 3 they are the exact same current. This DC component is what he labeled as I3.

I believe I can now solve some simultaneous equations to get all unknown values.

Likes Amirhossein

1. What is DCM analysis?

DCM analysis is a method used to analyze the operation of a Cuk converter, which is a type of DC-DC converter. It involves studying the behavior of the converter in discontinuous conduction mode (DCM), where the inductor current drops to zero during each switching cycle.

2. Why is DCM analysis important for Cuk converters?

DCM analysis helps in understanding the behavior and performance of Cuk converters, which are commonly used in low-power applications. It allows for the calculation of important parameters such as the output voltage ripple, efficiency, and maximum output power, which are crucial for designing and optimizing the converter.

3. What are the key components of a Cuk converter for DCM analysis?

The main components of a Cuk converter are the input voltage source, the power switch, the diode, the inductor, and the output capacitor. In DCM analysis, the inductor and the capacitor are modeled as ideal components, while the power switch and diode are represented by their equivalent circuits.

4. How is DCM analysis performed for a Cuk converter?

To perform DCM analysis, the steady-state equations for the inductor current and output voltage are derived and solved. The output voltage ripple, efficiency, and other parameters can then be calculated using these equations. Additionally, simulations using software such as LTSpice can be used to validate the results.

5. What are the advantages and limitations of DCM analysis for Cuk converters?

The main advantage of DCM analysis is that it provides a simple and accurate way to analyze the performance of Cuk converters. It also allows for the optimization of key parameters to improve converter efficiency and stability. However, DCM analysis does not consider the effects of non-ideal components and parasitic elements, which can affect the converter's performance in practical applications.