1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rise in temperature after a collision

1. Mar 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A body of mass m, moving with velocity v, collides with a body of mass 2m at rest, in a head-on collision. The coefficient of restitution is 1/3. If the 2m body has a specific heat c, and if it is assumed that the two bodies share the heat generated in the collision equally (not a very reasonable assumption), and that no heat is lost (a ridiculous assumption), how much does the temperature of the 2m body rise? (Keep fractions throughout in solution.)"
    2. Relevant equations
    $$\text{Coefficient of restitution}\ =~e~= \frac{v_{2F} - v_{1F}}{v_{1I} - v_{2I}}$$
    $$p_I = p_F$$
    $$\Delta K_2 = Q_2$$
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Since it is head on, this is a one dimensional problem, with ##v_{2I} = 0## and ##v_{1I} = v##. I started off by resolving my momentum equation into
    $$mv = -mv_{1F} + 2mv_{2F}$$
    (1) ##v_{1F} = 2v_{2f} - v##
    I then set my restitution equation equal to 1/3 and substituted (1) in.
    [tex] \frac{1}{3}\ = \frac{v_{2f} - 2v_{2f} + v}{v} [/tex]

Which simplifies to

(2) $$ v_{2F} = \frac{2v}{3} $$

I then expand my Q equation to

(3) $$ \frac{1}{2}\ 2 m (v_{2f})^2 = 2 m c \Delta T $$

I then plug (2) into (3) and solve for ## \Delta T ## :

$$ \Delta T\ = \frac{2v^2}{9c} $$

However, the answer has a fraction of 2/27 rather than 2/9. I'm off by a factor of a third, and I don't know why.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2013 #2
    Why the minus sign?

4. Mar 25, 2013 #3
    Because it is a one dimensional collision. The first object has to bounce backwards because there is no other place for it to go. Even if I omit the minus sign, I get 8/81 for the fraction.

5. Mar 25, 2013 #4
    It does not have to go backward. It can continue forward at a reduced speed. You do not have to guess what is going to happen. Use the equations.

Then you must have made another error somewhere. Show your new derivation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted