Rising fluid between conducting cylinders

In summary, the fluid will rise up into the space between the two cylinders due to the voltage applied between them.
monnomestalex

Homework Statement

Two long, hollow, and coaxial conducting cylinders, with radii [itex] a [/itex] and [itex] b>a [/itex], are lowered into a tub of fluid with dielectric constant [itex] \kappa [/itex]. A voltage [itex] V [/itex] is applied between the two cylinders. The fluid is observed to rise up some height [itex] h [/itex] into the volume between the cylinders. Calculate [itex] h [/itex].

Homework Equations

The dielectric constant is [itex] \kappa = 1 + \chi_e = \epsilon/\epsilon_0 [/itex] in linear media.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure I understand the physics behind the phenomena. This is a PhD quals question that requires only undergraduate E&M knowledge, so it shouldn't be too farfetched, but I do not know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

First thing you should do is make a sketch of what is going on. Then, write down the relevant equations.

If you just had the two cylinders in air, with voltage V between them, you would have a capacitor of length L, where L is the total length of the cylinders. Now, part of the cylinder (length h) is in the fluid, and length L-h is in air. These two capacitors are in series with each other, both at voltage V. By picturing it that way, and putting your variables into the appropriate equations, you should be able to solve for h in terms of the other variables.

Warren

I'm still not sure why the fluid will rise once you apply the external voltage.

For capacitors in series, [itex] \frac{1}{C_{eq}} = \frac{V_1+V_2}{Q} = \frac{1}{C1} + \frac{1}{C_2} [/itex].

On one hand, assuming V(b) = 0 and V(a) = V, I get that [itex] V(r) = V \frac{r-b}{a-b} [/itex] solves the Laplace equation, at least in the case where there's no dielectric. On the other hand, we know that the dielectric constant relates D and E through [itex] D = \epsilon E = \epsilon_0 \kappa E [/itex].

I also assumed that Q would distribute itself evenly and give an electric field [itex] E = \frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon r} [/itex] and therefore [itex] V(a)-V(b) = V = \frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon} \log(b/a) [/itex]. However, that assumption of evenly distributed charges in the presence of the dielectric bugs me.

That's as far as I have gone. I know I'm missing something, i.e. what's the conserved quantity that I can use to relate the situation before and after the fluid rises. I can only think that the charges on the conductors will be conserved, but I don't know how to apply that idea.

Last edited:
The two capacitors are actually in parallel, not series.

You might be able to relate this problem to the fairly well-known problem of calculating the force on a dielectric slab that is partially inserted between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor. See for example
http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~dmw/phy217/Lectures/Lect_25b.pdf

Likes 2 people
That's exactly it - thank you!

1. What is the concept of rising fluid between conducting cylinders?

The concept of rising fluid between conducting cylinders is based on the principles of electromagnetism, where a fluid, such as liquid metal or plasma, is moved upwards between two cylinders due to the interaction of magnetic and electric fields.

2. How is this phenomenon related to the Earth's magnetic field?

The rising fluid between conducting cylinders is similar to the process that generates Earth's magnetic field. In the Earth's core, molten iron rises and falls due to convection caused by heat and the rotation of the planet, creating a magnetic field.

3. What applications does this phenomenon have?

This phenomenon has various applications in engineering and geophysics. It can be used to simulate geophysical processes, such as the Earth's magnetic field, and to study the behavior of fluids in extreme conditions, such as in nuclear reactors and space environments.

4. What factors affect the rising fluid between conducting cylinders?

The speed and direction of the fluid's movement are primarily affected by the strength and orientation of the electric and magnetic fields. Additionally, the viscosity and electrical conductivity of the fluid, as well as the distance between the cylinders, can also influence the phenomenon.

5. How is this phenomenon studied and observed in a laboratory setting?

In a laboratory, this phenomenon can be recreated using a setup with two conducting cylinders, an electric current, and a magnetic field. Specialized instruments, such as sensors and cameras, can be used to measure and observe the fluid's movement and other parameters. Computer simulations are also commonly used to study this phenomenon.