1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric and magnetic field between concentric, conducting cylinders

1. Jun 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data#
    Two long, concentric, conducting cylinders of radii and b (a<b) each carry a current I in opposite directions and maintain a potential difference V.
    An electron with velocity u (parallel to the cylinders) travels undeviated through the space between the two cylinders.
    Find an expression for |u|

2. Relevant equations

F=q(E+u^B)

3. The attempt at a solution

All I've managed is to say that there must be no net force, so
    E=-u^B
    E=-|u||B|sinθ
    I'm not sure how to work out the electric of magnetic field.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2014 #2
    Use Faraday's law to find the electric field and the relation between voltage and electric field to find the electric field.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to say use Ampere's law to find the magnetic field

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  4. Jun 2, 2014 #3
    OK so using amperes law I get
    B=μI/2πr
    Is this right?
    And what's the relationship between electric field and potential difference?

5. Jun 3, 2014 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Your magnetic field is right for the gap between the inner and outer cylinder (coax cable).

To answer your other question, you should think a bit. The equations are those for stationary fields, i.e., (in SI units)
    [tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=\rho, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}=\mu \vec{j}, \quad \vec{j}=\sigma \vec{E}.[/tex]
    This holds in non-relativistic approximations for the movement of the electrons in the, and this is a damn good approximations for all household currents :-)).

In addition you need appropriate boundary conditions for the fields at the surfaces of the conductors. These you should find in any textbook of electrodynamics, e.g., Jackson, Classical electrodynamics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted