Electric and magnetic field between concentric, conducting cylinders

In summary, the problem involves two concentric cylinders carrying opposite currents and a potential difference, with an electron traveling undeviated between them. To find an expression for the electron's velocity, we must use Faraday's and Ampere's laws to determine the electric and magnetic fields between the cylinders. The equations for stationary fields apply, and boundary conditions for the fields at the surfaces of the conductors must also be considered.
lar49

Homework Statement

#
Two long, concentric, conducting cylinders of radii and b (a<b) each carry a current I in opposite directions and maintain a potential difference V.
An electron with velocity u (parallel to the cylinders) travels undeviated through the space between the two cylinders.
Find an expression for |u|

Homework Equations

F=q(E+u^B)

The Attempt at a Solution

All I've managed is to say that there must be no net force, so
E=-u^B
E=-|u||B|sinθ
I'm not sure how to work out the electric of magnetic field.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Faraday's law to find the electric field and the relation between voltage and electric field to find the electric field.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to say use Ampere's law to find the magnetic field

Last edited:
OK so using amperes law I get
B=μI/2πr
Is this right?
And what's the relationship between electric field and potential difference?

Your magnetic field is right for the gap between the inner and outer cylinder (coax cable).

To answer your other question, you should think a bit. The equations are those for stationary fields, i.e., (in SI units)
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=\rho, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}=\mu \vec{j}, \quad \vec{j}=\sigma \vec{E}.[/tex]
This holds in non-relativistic approximations for the movement of the electrons in the, and this is a damn good approximations for all household currents :-)).

In addition you need appropriate boundary conditions for the fields at the surfaces of the conductors. These you should find in any textbook of electrodynamics, e.g., Jackson, Classical electrodynamics.

I would approach this problem by using the equations for electric and magnetic fields in a cylindrical coordinate system. The electric field between the two cylinders can be found using the equation E = V/r, where V is the potential difference and r is the distance from the center of the cylinders. The magnetic field can be found using the equation B = μ0I/2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the cylinders, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinders.

We know that at the point where the electron is traveling, the electric field must be equal in magnitude to the magnetic field, so we can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for |u|.

|u| = E/B = (V/r)/(μ0I/2πr) = (2πV)/(μ0Ir)

Therefore, the speed of the electron, |u|, is directly proportional to the potential difference V, the permeability of free space μ0, and the current in the cylinders I, and inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the cylinders r. This expression can be used to calculate the speed of the electron as it travels through the space between the two cylinders.

1. What is the concept of electric and magnetic field between concentric, conducting cylinders?

The concept of electric and magnetic fields between concentric, conducting cylinders refers to the study of the behavior and interaction of these two types of fields in a space between two cylinders that are placed one inside the other. This phenomenon is known as the cylindrical capacitor and it is an important concept in electromagnetism.

2. How are electric and magnetic fields related to each other in this setup?

In this setup, the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other. This means that the electric field lines are parallel to the axis of the cylinders, while the magnetic field lines are circular around the same axis. Additionally, the strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric and magnetic fields between concentric cylinders?

The strength of the electric and magnetic fields between concentric cylinders is affected by several factors, including the distance between the cylinders, the radius of the cylinders, and the electric charge on the cylinders. These factors can be manipulated to control and adjust the strength of the fields in this setup.

4. What is the significance of studying the electric and magnetic fields between concentric cylinders?

Studying the electric and magnetic fields between concentric cylinders is important because it helps us understand the behavior of these fields in a confined space and how they interact with each other. This knowledge is crucial in various applications such as in designing capacitors, transformers, and other electronic devices.

5. Can the electric and magnetic fields between concentric cylinders be measured and calculated?

Yes, the electric and magnetic fields between concentric cylinders can be measured and calculated using various equations and formulas from electromagnetism. These calculations can help determine the strength and behavior of the fields in this setup, which can be useful in practical applications and experiments.