RL circuit after switch has been opened

In summary, the conversation revolved around calculating the backwards emf when a switch is opened and whether the current can exceed the maximum value. It was noted that the desired current value may not be physically achievable and there may have been a typo in the question. It was also mentioned that the system has a random number generator that may have caused the mistake.
Ugnius
Homework Statement
Switch is closed when t < 0, switch in the circuit shown has been closed for a
long time and conditions have settled. Switch at the moment t=0 is opened . Calculate the moment of time when the current in R1 is equal to 9.2 mA.
Relevant Equations
Hi guys , I've been trying to think this one out but I'm drawing a blank.

1639132548963.png

1639132567501.png

What I am able to understand that I'm required to calculate the backwards emf when the switch is opened. The current through the resistor R1 is 9mA. I was wondering if 9.2mA is even possible? Can the current exceed Imax at the moment of discarge? I know a lot of current is generated to discharge the magnetic field energy stored in the inductor. As I see the normal current path through the inductor is a - b , and at the moment of discharge it should be b-a and then though the R1 to the switch because it's the shortest path. Is there a possible way to calculate what kind of voltage is going though the resistor when inductor is releasing the energy? Maybe that's the way to calculate Imax in the R1.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Your intuition regarding the maximum current not exceeding the initial 9 mA is correct. We also don't expect any big back-emf spikes to occur since the inductor never "sees" any abrupt open circuit conditions during the switching operation -- there's always a continuous circuit for its current to follow.

I would say that this is a poorly constructed question that does not have a physically realistic solution, due to the "desired" current value not being physically realizable.

Is this a multiple choice or online questionnaire, or are you expected to hand in your written work? If the latter, then you can at least show the appropriate math steps to use when the target current value is reasonable.

Likes Ugnius
gneill said:
Your intuition regarding the maximum current not exceeding the initial 9 mA is correct. We also don't expect any big back-emf spikes to occur since the inductor never "sees" any abrupt open circuit conditions during the switching operation -- there's always a continuous circuit for its current to follow.

I would say that this is a poorly constructed question that does not have a physically realistic solution, due to the "desired" current value not being physically realizable.

Is this a multiple choice or online questionnaire, or are you expected to hand in your written work? If the latter, then you can at least show the appropriate math steps to use when the target current value is reasonable.
This is in online questionare , where the answer is in the system and you have a blank square to write the answer to , after submit it's either green or you try again. I fill try to write my proffesor and ask him how is that possible.

Likes gneill
gneill said:

There was a typo after all.

Ugnius said:
There was a typo after all.
Ah. That's been known to happen occasionally. It's a good thing that you checked with your prof.

Likes Ugnius
Just for fun I checked that, after 0.4 ms, the current Is 1.2 mA. I wonder whether someone wrote 9.2 mA instead of 1.2 mA.

Gordianus said:
Just for fun I checked that, after 0.4 ms, the current Is 1.2 mA. I wonder whether someone wrote 9.2 mA instead of 1.2 mA.
In our system there is random number generator in range, and he did the range accidentaly 0 - 10 , when he meant 0-9.

1. What happens to the current in an RL circuit after the switch has been opened?

After the switch has been opened, the current in an RL circuit will decrease gradually to zero. This is because the inductor in the circuit will resist any change in current, causing it to gradually decrease over time.

2. Why does the current decrease in an RL circuit after the switch has been opened?

The current decreases in an RL circuit after the switch has been opened because of the inductor's property of self-inductance. This means that the inductor will resist any changes in current, causing it to gradually decrease to zero.

3. How long does it take for the current to reach zero in an RL circuit after the switch has been opened?

The time it takes for the current to reach zero in an RL circuit after the switch has been opened is determined by the time constant of the circuit. This is calculated by multiplying the inductance (L) of the circuit by the resistance (R) of the circuit. The time constant is equal to L/R, and the current will decrease to approximately 36.8% of its original value after one time constant.

4. What happens to the voltage in an RL circuit after the switch has been opened?

After the switch has been opened, the voltage in an RL circuit will increase gradually to its maximum value. This is because the inductor will produce a back EMF (electromotive force) to resist the change in current, causing the voltage to increase over time.

5. How does the time constant affect the behavior of an RL circuit after the switch has been opened?

The time constant plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of an RL circuit after the switch has been opened. It determines the rate at which the current decreases and the voltage increases. A higher time constant means a slower decrease in current and a longer time for the voltage to reach its maximum value, while a lower time constant results in a faster decrease in current and a shorter time for the voltage to reach its maximum value.