RL Circuit Differential equation

In summary, the equation has a mistake in the constant C, which causes the current at initial condition to be different from what the equation predicts.
IBY

Homework Statement

Basically, I am deriving the following equation:
[tex]I=I_0(1-e^{-\frac{R}{L}t})[/tex]

Homework Equations

1) [tex]L\frac{dI(t)}{dt}+I(t)R=V[/tex]
2) [tex]\frac{V}{R}=I_0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In relevant equation 1), R was divided both sides, and by using 2), I turned it into:

[tex]\frac{L}{R}\frac{dI(t)}{dt}+I(t)=I_0[/tex]

By solving the homogenous part, I got:

[tex]I(t)=I_0e^{-\frac{R}{L}t}[/tex]

If so, with the non-homogenous part, I got:

[tex]I(t)=I_0+I_0e^{-\frac{R}{L}t}[/tex]

Obviously, something went wrong here because that plus sign is supposed to be a minus. The question is, what is the mistake?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The constant in the homogeneous part isn't I0. It's an arbitrary constant C that you solve for by using the initial condition.

But at initial condition, isn't [tex]C=I_0[/tex]?

After all, that is the current right when the switch closes in the circuit, causing the current to flow. Because all I am left with after solving the homogenous part is:

[tex]I=Ce^{-\frac{R}{L}t}[/tex]

No, the initial condition has to be satisfied by the complete solution, so you have

[tex]I(t) = V/R + Ce^{-\frac{R}{L} t}[/tex]

and you want to solve for C by setting I(0)=0 because the current through an inductor I(t) must be continuous. Note that the current isn't I0 at t=0 because there was no current flowing just prior to the switch closing.

Okay, so based on that, [tex]C=I(t)-I_0[/tex]?

Which means, substituting that into: [tex]I(t)=I_0+(I(t)-I_0)e^{-\frac{R}{L}t}[/tex]

Last edited:
Uh oh, when I do the math above, I get [tex]I_0=I(t)[/tex]

When you set t=0, you get

[tex]I(0) = V/R + C[/tex]

You don't still have I(t) floating around.

But what is I(0), then? If I(0) is current at initial condition, then that is [tex]I_0[/tex]. That makes C=0.
Okay, I am doing this whole math logic thing really wrong somewhere, and I can't grasp where it is.

Reread what I said in post 4.

Oh, if [tex]I(0)=0[/tex] because current doesn't exist at t=0, then [tex]C=-I_0[/tex].
Then [tex]I(t)=I_0-I_0e^{-\frac{R}{L}t}[/tex]
Thanks!

D'oh! I have been assuming the graph was a decay all along just because the e was there. I forgot, this RL circuit is one with a battery. :)

Last edited:

1. What is an RL circuit differential equation?

An RL circuit differential equation is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of a circuit containing a resistor (R) and an inductor (L). It is used to model the relationship between the voltage and current in the circuit, taking into account the effects of both the resistor and the inductor.

2. Why is the RL circuit differential equation important?

The RL circuit differential equation is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of circuits containing resistors and inductors. It helps us to analyze the voltage and current in these circuits, which is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electronic systems.

3. How is the RL circuit differential equation derived?

The RL circuit differential equation is derived by applying Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) and Faraday's law of induction to the circuit. This results in a second-order differential equation, which can be solved to obtain the voltage and current equations for the circuit.

4. What are the applications of the RL circuit differential equation?

The RL circuit differential equation has many applications in the field of electrical engineering. It is commonly used in the design of power supplies, motors, generators, and other electronic systems. It is also used in signal processing and communication systems.

5. How can the RL circuit differential equation be solved?

The RL circuit differential equation can be solved using various methods, such as analytical, numerical, and circuit simulation techniques. Analytical solutions involve solving the differential equation using mathematical techniques, while numerical solutions use algorithms to approximate the solution. Circuit simulation involves using specialized software to model and analyze the behavior of the circuit.