Roadmap for learning String Theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's goal of gaining a reasonable understanding of string theory as a hobby. They are seeking recommendations for learning routes and information on prerequisites for the book "A First Course in String Theory" by Zwiebach. The conversation also touches on the importance of quantum field theory and general relativity in string theory. Suggestions for further reading, including Zee's "QFT in a Nutshell" and Zwiebach's "String Theory," are also provided.
patrik1982
One of my goals in life is to get a reasonable understanding of string theory. This is done as a hobby of mine so I will not have a professor to ask.

My question is: which route would you recommend for learning this?

My thoughts:

I understand many people think highly of "A First Course in String Theory" by Zwiebach so this is probably the path I will take - unless you guys would recommend another path.
But I cannot find any info on the prerequisites for this book.

I have an understanding of quantum mechanics at the level of Shankar (up to, and including, the chapter on addition of angular momentum).
Is this enough or do I need to learn the rest of that book?

Do I need QFT? If so - what is a good book for me?

Do I need GR? I do have the books by Carroll and Schutz but I haven't read them yet. Do I have to? (I do have a firm understanding of SR)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi patrik1982,

Welcome to PF!

I would say it depends on your detailed goals. Zwiebach is, in my opininon, a very fun book, but it spends a lot of time on classical physics. If for you a "reasonable understanding" includes the ability to do some calculations in the quantum theory, then zwiebach may move a bit slowly. However, I would heartily recommend the earlier chapters regardless of your goals, and I think its a good book to look back to later on for a simpler conceptual take.

In my experience, QFT and GR are what most string theorists do on a daily basis. But again, it depends on what you really want to achieve. To have some flavor of holographic duality, for example, you will need some of both QFT and GR. I really don't know how much of a real picture one can have, beyond some inspired metaphors, for holographic duality without knowing a bit of QFT and GR. On the other hand, one can actually understand much of the basic physics without more technical things like supersymmetry.

A reasonable conceptual picture could be built from studying Zee's QFT in a nutshell and Zwiebach's string theory. Perhaps the most important thing is that Zee teaches you to think about QFT in the correct "wilsonian" way. These two might be a bit of stretch from where you are now, but I'm sure you would enjoy it.

With some feedback from you about your expectations, I'm sure we could narrow things down even more.

1. What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all four fundamental forces of nature (gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear) by considering the building blocks of the universe to be one-dimensional strings instead of point-like particles.

2. Why is it important to have a roadmap for learning String Theory?

String Theory is a complex and mathematically rigorous subject that requires a strong foundation in physics and mathematics. Having a roadmap for learning String Theory can help guide individuals through the necessary steps and concepts needed to understand this theory.

3. What are the prerequisites for learning String Theory?

A strong understanding of classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, special and general relativity, and advanced mathematics such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary for studying String Theory. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of particle physics and field theory.

4. How can I apply String Theory to real-world applications?

String Theory is still a highly theoretical and speculative field, and there are currently no direct practical applications. However, the research and mathematical tools used in String Theory have led to advancements in other fields such as condensed matter physics and cosmology.

5. What are some recommended resources for learning String Theory?

Some recommended resources for learning String Theory include textbooks such as "String Theory in a Nutshell" by Elias Kiritsis and "The Little Book of String Theory" by Steven S. Gubser, online lectures and courses from universities such as MIT and Stanford, and online resources such as the String Theory Wiki and arXiv preprint server for research papers.