1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket expelling fuel velocity relative to earth

1. Jun 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rocket moving in space, far from all other objects, has a speed of 3.0 × 103 ms−1 relative to the Earth. Its engines are turned on, and fuel is ejected in a direction opposite to the rocket’s motion at a speed of 5.0 × 103 ms−1 relative to the rocket. What is the speed of the rocket relative to the Earth once the rocket’s mass is reduced to half its mass before ignition?

2. Relevant equations
    vfuel = v - vex

3. The attempt at a solution
    Quite unsure as to how to attempt this. How do I found vex in order to find v? It has something to do with the mass but I'm not sure how to relate it.

This question is only worth 2 marks so I don't think I'm expected to show much. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2015 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

4. Jun 4, 2015 #3
    You have to use momentum conservation but you need to pick a referance frame.Pick earth referance frame calculate velocities to Earth,then use momentum conservation

5. Jun 4, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's not that simple. The speed of the exhaust in an inertial frame reduces as the rocket accelerates. You need to use (or to derive) the rocket equation Filip mentions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted