1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket Problem: Determining the amount of fuel burned

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    The set up:
    A 20,000kg rocket has a motor that generates a thrust of 3x10^5 N.

The problem:
    a)What is it's initial Acceleration?

b)At an altitude of 5,000m the rockets acceleration has increased to 6 m/s^2, what mass of fuel has it burned?

Relevant equations:

F = ma

The attempt at a solution:

I found the initial Acceleration to be 5.2 by taking the difference of the thrust and the rockets weight and dividing my the initial mass.

Part two is the one I cant figure out...I dont think the height of the rocket has anything to do with the solution does it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I agree, the altitude is unnecessary. In fact, it's a bit odd because you could calculate the altitude, and I'll bet it's not 5km exactly.

4. Feb 7, 2013 #3
    How do I determine the amount of fuel burned?

5. Feb 7, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Recall how you calculated the initial acceleration. Why does the acceleration increase? What, in your calculation, will have remained constant?

6. Feb 7, 2013 #5
    OH...thanks. I get it now. The Thrust is constant the only thing that changes is the mass. Which I can solve for.

Thank you!
    Ockham

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook