Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocky Kolb's top 10 Questions about the Universe

1. May 16, 2008 #1
    Hi,

after hearing a lecture of his on Dark Matter/Energy, I visited Rocky (sometimes known as Edward W.) Kolb's home page.
    He is cosmologist at FNAL and professor at the University of Chicago. He has an interesting list of his top 10 Questions about the Universe.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2008 #2

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Going by the SETI definition that intelligent life would transmit a signal, then No.

4. May 16, 2008 #3
    Parallel parking in a perpendicular universe sounds like it would be regular parking in this universe.

5. May 16, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I've observed enough drivers in my life to know that there's no such thing as 'regular' parking.

6. May 16, 2008 #5
    The Red Sox won the series. Twice. This means we are already in a parallel universe.

7. May 18, 2008 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. What came before the big bang?

The big fuse?

A hypersurface? That is the only answer that I've ever heard that is actually an answer.

8. May 18, 2008 #7
    Aren't questions 9, 5 and 4 the same ones ?

Question 3 can only be asked if the above questions are solved, IMO...

Concerning questions 7 and 6 : define "here" and "elsewhere". I hope this does not mean "inside and outside our universe". If so, this question also follows the logic of question 3.

This is exactly why i don't like such kind of questions : first of all, we need to establish wether there is a problem in the first place.
    Just my 2 $

marlon

Last edited: May 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?