Rod rolling on inclined plane with constraint at end A

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Telemachus
Messages
820
Reaction score
30
Well, it's my second post about rigid body. I originally posted this on introductory physics, but as nobody answered this, or the previous topic, I've decided to post this here.

Homework Statement


I have this other exercise rigid in the plane, with which I am having problems.

The rod of mass m and length l, is released based on the vertical position of rest with the small roller end A resting on the slope. Determine the initial acceleration A.
attachment.php?attachmentid=32766&stc=1&d=1299177876.png

(neglect friction and mass of the roller A)

The answer given by the book is [tex]a_A=\displaystyle\frac{g\sin \theta}{1-\frac{3}{4}\cos^2\theta}[/tex]

Homework Equations


I try to raise the moment equation, and Newton. But not me, not that I'm doing wrong. For this consider that the bar rotates about its center of mass.
[tex]I_{cm}=\displaystyle\frac{mL^2}{12}[/tex]
[tex]N-mg\cos\theta=0[/tex]
[tex]mg\sin\theta=ma_{cm}[/tex]
[tex]I_{cm}\alpha=\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}mg\sin\theta\cos\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\alpha=\displaystyle\frac{6g\sin\theta\cos\theta}{L}[/tex]
[tex]a_cm=g\sin\theta[/tex]

Then: [tex]a_A=a_{cm}+\displaystyle\frac{L}{2}\alpha=g\sin\theta+3g\cos\theta\sin\theta[/tex]

Greetings and thanks for posting.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I've found the answer on the internet. But I still having some doubts about how he makes the reasoning of it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=32805&stc=1&d=1299264693.png


I don't realize how he makes the reasoning for this:
[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{}{M_A}=I\alpha+\displaystyle\sum_{}{}mad[/tex]
[tex]0=\displaystyle\frac{ml^2}{12}\alpha\alpha+m\displaystyle\frac{l}{2}\alpha\displaystyle\frac{l}{2}-ma_A\displaystyle\frac{l}{2}\cos\theta[/tex]

I realize about the trivial part: [tex]\displaystyle\sum_{}{M_A}=0[/tex] but I don't know how to get to the other part of the equality, the one concerning to [tex]I\alpha+\displaystyle\sum_{}{}mad[/tex]

Can somebody help me a little bit please?
 
Attachments
  • Dibujo.PNG
    Dibujo.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 509