1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation of a cone rolling on its side without slipping on a plane

1. Apr 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform right circular cone of height [itex]h[/itex], half angle [itex]α[/itex], and density [itex]ρ[/itex] rolls on its side without
    slipping on a uniform horizontal plane in such a manner that it returns to its original position in
    a time [itex]\tau[/itex]. Find expressions for the kinetic energy and the components of the angular momentum
    of the cone. Hint: If [itex] \vec{v} = \vec{ω}\times\vec{r}[/itex] in the inertial frame, points on the cone instantaneously at rest
    in this frame will lie in the direction of [itex]\vec{ω}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\mathcal{L}=T-U=T_{rot}[/itex]

[itex] T_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}I_{ij}\omega_{i}\omega_{j} = \frac{1}{2}L_{j}\omega_{j}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Setup: I'll start off by defining an inertial coordinate system [itex]\hat{x}'[/itex] Also successive rotations of this coordinate system will be given by [itex] \hat{x}'',\hat{x}''',...[/itex] etc. Eventually I want to build to a body frame [itex] \hat{x} [/itex].

Rotation 1: about the [itex] \hat{x_3}' [/itex] axis by an angle [itex] \theta [/itex] given by the rotation matrix [itex]\mathbf{A}[/itex]

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}x''_1\\x''_2\\x''_3\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}\cos\theta&\sin\theta&0\\-\sin\theta&\cos\theta&0\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x'_1\\x'_2\\x'_3\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Rotation 2: about the [itex] \hat{x_2}'' [/itex] axis by an angle [itex] \alpha [/itex] given by the rotation matrix [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex]

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}x'''_1\\x'''_2\\x'''_3\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}\cos\alpha&0&-\sin\alpha\\0&1&0\\\sin\alpha&0&\cos\alpha\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x''_1\\x''_2\\x''_3\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Rotation 3: about the [itex] \hat{x_1}'''[/itex] axis by an angle [itex] ψ[/itex] given by the rotation matrix [itex]\mathbf{C}[/itex]

[itex] \begin{pmatrix}x\\y\\z\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1&0&0\\0&\cos ψ&\sin ψ\\0&-\sin ψ&\cos ψ\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x'''_1\\x'''_2\\x'''_3\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

So now I have [itex] \vec{x}=\mathbf{CBA}\vec{x}'[/itex] also [itex][\mathbf{CBA}]^{T}\vec{x}=\vec{x}' [/itex] which is a relationship between the inertial and body frames.

I can also get [itex] \vec{\omega} = \dot{\theta}\hat{x_3}'+\dot{ψ}\hat{x_1}''' [/itex]

Putting [itex] \vec{\omega} [/itex] into the body frame: [itex] \vec{\omega} = \begin{pmatrix}-\dot{\theta}\sin\alpha+\dot{ψ}\\\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\sin ψ\\\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\cos ψ \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Okay now before I go any further I want to make sure what I have is correct. Also please if you find a mistake please explain in detail why it is wrong. I really want to get an understanding of rigid body rotations. I'm also attaching my drawing of the various transformations too, thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2014 #2
    The Inertia tensor for a rotatons about the apex of the cone is:

[itex]\mathbf{J} = \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3MR^2}{10}&0&0\\0&\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20}&0\\0&0&\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20}\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

The the expression for energy is: [itex] T_{rot} = \frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix}-\dot{\theta}\sin\alpha+\dot{ψ}&\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\sin ψ &\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\cos ψ \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3MR^2}{10}&0&0\\0&\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20}&0\\0&0&\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20}\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}-\dot{\theta}\sin\alpha+\dot{ψ}\\\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\sin ψ\\\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\cos ψ \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

[itex] = \frac{1}{2}[\frac{3MR^2}{10}(-\dot{\theta}\sin\alpha+\dot{\psi})^2+(\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20})(\dot{\theta})^2\cos^2\alpha] [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{1}{2}[\frac{3MR^2}{10}[(\dot{\theta})^2\sin^2\alpha-2\dot{\theta}\dot{\psi}\sin\alpha+\dot{\psi}^2]+(\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20})(\dot{\theta})^2\cos^2\alpha] [/itex]

Also [itex] \vec{L} = \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3MR^2}{10}&0&0\\0&\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20}&0\\0&0&\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20}\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}-\dot{\theta}\sin\alpha+\dot{ψ}\\\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\sin ψ\\\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\cos ψ \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

[itex] = \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3MR^2}{10}(-\dot{\theta}\sin\alpha+\dot{\psi})\\\dot{\theta}(\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20})\cos\alpha \sin\psi \\\dot{\theta}(\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20})\cos\alpha \cos\psi \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted