Rotation of a cone rolling on its side without slipping on a plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
Wavefunction
Messages
99
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement



A uniform right circular cone of height [itex]h[/itex], half angle [itex]α[/itex], and density [itex]ρ[/itex] rolls on its side without
slipping on a uniform horizontal plane in such a manner that it returns to its original position in
a time [itex]\tau[/itex]. Find expressions for the kinetic energy and the components of the angular momentum
of the cone. Hint: If [itex]\vec{v} = \vec{ω}\times\vec{r}[/itex] in the inertial frame, points on the cone instantaneously at rest
in this frame will lie in the direction of [itex]\vec{ω}[/itex].


Homework Equations



[itex]\mathcal{L}=T-U=T_{rot}[/itex]

[itex]T_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}I_{ij}\omega_{i}\omega_{j} = \frac{1}{2}L_{j}\omega_{j}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Setup: I'll start off by defining an inertial coordinate system [itex]\hat{x}'[/itex] Also successive rotations of this coordinate system will be given by [itex]\hat{x}'',\hat{x}''',...[/itex] etc. Eventually I want to build to a body frame [itex]\hat{x}[/itex].

Rotation 1: about the [itex]\hat{x_3}'[/itex] axis by an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] given by the rotation matrix [itex]\mathbf{A}[/itex]

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}x''_1\\x''_2\\x''_3\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}\cos\theta&\sin\theta&0\\-\sin\theta&\cos\theta&0\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x'_1\\x'_2\\x'_3\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Rotation 2: about the [itex]\hat{x_2}''[/itex] axis by an angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] given by the rotation matrix [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex]

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}x'''_1\\x'''_2\\x'''_3\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}\cos\alpha&0&-\sin\alpha\\0&1&0\\\sin\alpha&0&\cos\alpha\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x''_1\\x''_2\\x''_3\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Rotation 3: about the [itex]\hat{x_1}'''[/itex] axis by an angle [itex]ψ[/itex] given by the rotation matrix [itex]\mathbf{C}[/itex]

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}x\\y\\z\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1&0&0\\0&\cos ψ&\sin ψ\\0&-\sin ψ&\cos ψ\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x'''_1\\x'''_2\\x'''_3\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

So now I have [itex]\vec{x}=\mathbf{CBA}\vec{x}'[/itex] also [itex][\mathbf{CBA}]^{T}\vec{x}=\vec{x}'[/itex] which is a relationship between the inertial and body frames.

I can also get [itex]\vec{\omega} = \dot{\theta}\hat{x_3}'+\dot{ψ}\hat{x_1}'''[/itex]

Putting [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex] into the body frame: [itex]\vec{\omega} = \begin{pmatrix}-\dot{\theta}\sin\alpha+\dot{ψ}\\\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\sin ψ\\\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\cos ψ \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Okay now before I go any further I want to make sure what I have is correct. Also please if you find a mistake please explain in detail why it is wrong. I really want to get an understanding of rigid body rotations. I'm also attaching my drawing of the various transformations too, thanks in advance for your help.
 
Attachments
  • IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 903
Physics news on Phys.org
Wavefunction said:

Homework Statement



A uniform right circular cone of height [itex]h[/itex], half angle [itex]α[/itex], and density [itex]ρ[/itex] rolls on its side without
slipping on a uniform horizontal plane in such a manner that it returns to its original position in
a time [itex]\tau[/itex]. Find expressions for the kinetic energy and the components of the angular momentum
of the cone. Hint: If [itex]\vec{v} = \vec{ω}\times\vec{r}[/itex] in the inertial frame, points on the cone instantaneously at rest
in this frame will lie in the direction of [itex]\vec{ω}[/itex].


Homework Equations



[itex]\mathcal{L}=T-U=T_{rot}[/itex]

[itex]T_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}I_{ij}\omega_{i}\omega_{j} = \frac{1}{2}L_{j}\omega_{j}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Setup: I'll start off by defining an inertial coordinate system [itex]\hat{x}'[/itex] Also successive rotations of this coordinate system will be given by [itex]\hat{x}'',\hat{x}''',...[/itex] etc. Eventually I want to build to a body frame [itex]\hat{x}[/itex].

Rotation 1: about the [itex]\hat{x_3}'[/itex] axis by an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] given by the rotation matrix [itex]\mathbf{A}[/itex]

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}x''_1\\x''_2\\x''_3\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}\cos\theta&\sin\theta&0\\-\sin\theta&\cos\theta&0\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x'_1\\x'_2\\x'_3\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Rotation 2: about the [itex]\hat{x_2}''[/itex] axis by an angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] given by the rotation matrix [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex]

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}x'''_1\\x'''_2\\x'''_3\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}\cos\alpha&0&-\sin\alpha\\0&1&0\\\sin\alpha&0&\cos\alpha\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x''_1\\x''_2\\x''_3\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Rotation 3: about the [itex]\hat{x_1}'''[/itex] axis by an angle [itex]ψ[/itex] given by the rotation matrix [itex]\mathbf{C}[/itex]

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}x\\y\\z\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1&0&0\\0&\cos ψ&\sin ψ\\0&-\sin ψ&\cos ψ\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x'''_1\\x'''_2\\x'''_3\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

So now I have [itex]\vec{x}=\mathbf{CBA}\vec{x}'[/itex] also [itex][\mathbf{CBA}]^{T}\vec{x}=\vec{x}'[/itex] which is a relationship between the inertial and body frames.

I can also get [itex]\vec{\omega} = \dot{\theta}\hat{x_3}'+\dot{ψ}\hat{x_1}'''[/itex]

Putting [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex] into the body frame: [itex]\vec{\omega} = \begin{pmatrix}-\dot{\theta}\sin\alpha+\dot{ψ}\\\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\sin ψ\\\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\cos ψ \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Okay now before I go any further I want to make sure what I have is correct. Also please if you find a mistake please explain in detail why it is wrong. I really want to get an understanding of rigid body rotations. I'm also attaching my drawing of the various transformations too, thanks in advance for your help.

The Inertia tensor for a rotatons about the apex of the cone is:

[itex]\mathbf{J} = \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3MR^2}{10}&0&0\\0&\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20}&0\\0&0&\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20}\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

The the expression for energy is: [itex]T_{rot} = \frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix}-\dot{\theta}\sin\alpha+\dot{ψ}&\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\sin ψ &\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\cos ψ \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3MR^2}{10}&0&0\\0&\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20}&0\\0&0&\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20}\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}-\dot{\theta}\sin\alpha+\dot{ψ}\\\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\sin ψ\\\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\cos ψ \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

[itex]= \frac{1}{2}[\frac{3MR^2}{10}(-\dot{\theta}\sin\alpha+\dot{\psi})^2+(\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20})(\dot{\theta})^2\cos^2\alpha][/itex]

[itex]= \frac{1}{2}[\frac{3MR^2}{10}[(\dot{\theta})^2\sin^2\alpha-2\dot{\theta}\dot{\psi}\sin\alpha+\dot{\psi}^2]+(\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20})(\dot{\theta})^2\cos^2\alpha][/itex]

Also [itex]\vec{L} = \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3MR^2}{10}&0&0\\0&\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20}&0\\0&0&\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20}\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}-\dot{\theta}\sin\alpha+\dot{ψ}\\\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\sin ψ\\\dot{\theta}\cos\alpha\cos ψ \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

[itex]= \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3MR^2}{10}(-\dot{\theta}\sin\alpha+\dot{\psi})\\\dot{\theta}(\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20})\cos\alpha \sin\psi \\\dot{\theta}(\frac{3Mh^2}{5}+\frac{3MR^2}{20})\cos\alpha \cos\psi \end{pmatrix}[/itex]