1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roll 2 fair dice, find pdf and cdf

1. Nov 30, 2011 #1
    Hi guys. I have a test tomorrow and I am trying to work out the problems on the review sheet, but I can't figure out this one dealing with pdf and cdf.

Roll 2 fair dice and call each outcome (i,j) where i,j = 1,2,...6.
    Define: X= {i+j if i+j ≤ 6 ; abs.value(i-j) otherwise}

A) Find and draw the pdf.
    B) Find and draw the cdf.

The professor sent us the solutions. I just can't figure out how he got it. The solution he sent was:

a)
    f(x)= { 3/36 if x=o; 5/36 if x=2 or 4 or 6; 6/36 if x=1 or 3 or 5}

b) f(x)= {0 if x<0; 3/36 if 0≤x<1; 9/36 if 1≤x<2; 14/36 if 2≤x<3; 20/36 if 3≤x<4; 25/36 if 4≤x<5; 31/36 if 5≤x<6; 1 if x≥6}

Could someone please help me understand the steps to take to get this answer?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First find the probabilities of all the individual pairs (i,j). For each pair (i,j), figure out what x must be. Of course, the same x might be obtained for several different pairs (i,j), so you need to be careful. That's it; that's all there is to it.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook