Rolle's theorem, to show there's only one root

In summary, the problem is asking to use Rolle's Theorem to show that there is only one real root for the function y=2x^3-3x^2-12x-6, by proving that y'≠0 in the open interval (-1,0). This can be done by showing that f(a) and f(b) have opposite signs, where a=-1 and b=0, and that y' is negative for all x in the interval -1 to 0. This, combined with the Intermediate Value Theorem, guarantees that y has at most one zero on the interval (-1,0).
Karol

Homework Statement

Question.JPG

Homework Equations

Rolle's Theorem:
If f(a)=f(b)=0 then there is at least one a<c<b such that f'(c)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

$$y=2x^3-3x^2-12x-6~\rightarrow~y'=6x^2-6x-12$$
The function:
Capture.JPG

y':
Derivative-1.JPG

How do i know y' isn't 0 somewhere? if it's continuously descending, so i make y''=12x-6. it's a straight line, so there are no twist points in y'.
But to know y'' doesn't equal 0 somewhere i take y'''=12
Do i really need to reach y''' in order to answer the question? i think i exaggerate

Attachments

• Question.JPG
    Question.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,437
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,156
  • Derivative-1.JPG
    Derivative-1.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,103
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are trying to show there's only one real root. That is where ## f(x)=0 ## for some ## x ##. ## \\ ## The way this can be readily shown is if ## f(a)>0 ## and ##f(b) <0 ## and ## \frac{dy}{dx} < 0 ## over the entire interval. ## \\ ## Alternatively, if ## f(a)<0 ## and ## f(b)>0 ## then ## \frac{dy}{dx} > 0 ## for the entire interval will guarantee there is only one root.

Karol said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 231157

Homework Equations

Rolle's Theorem:
If f(a)=f(b)=0 then there is at least one a<c<b such that f'(c)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

$$y=2x^3-3x^2-12x-6~\rightarrow~y'=6x^2-6x-12$$
The function:
View attachment 231158
y':
View attachment 231159
How do i know y' isn't 0 somewhere? if it's continuously descending, so i make y''=12x-6. it's a straight line, so there are no twist points in y'.
But to know y'' doesn't equal 0 somewhere i take y'''=12
Do i really need to reach y''' in order to answer the question? i think i exaggerate
Factor ##\ 6x^2 - 6x -12\ ## to find where the first derivative is zero.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y'=0 at a=(-1)
How do i prove y'≠0 on the rest of the open domain <a-b>

y' only has two zeroes, can you find the other one?

Karol said:
Y'=0 at a=(-1)
At how many points is y' = 0 for this function (in part c)? Have you investigated the intervals on which the function is increasing or decreasing?

BTW, the theorem is Rolle's Theorem. I will correct things in your thread title and elsewhere.

Karol said:
Y'=0 at a=(-1)
Did you follow @SammyS suggestion in post #3? That will answer your question.

y'=0 at x=(-2) and x=3, between them y'<0 so y is decreasing
So between a=(-1) and b=0 y decreases
I don't need y''

Karol said:
y'=0 at x=(-2) and x=3
No, neither of your x values is correct. See SammyS's post #3 and show your work.
Karol said:
, between them y'<0 so y is decreasing
So between a=(-1) and b=0 y decreases
I don't need y''

$$y'=6x^2 - 6x -12$$
$$\left\{ \begin{array}{l} x_1+x_2=-\frac{b}{a}=1 \\ x_1\cdot x_2=\frac{c}{a}=(-2) \end{array}\right.$$
$$x_1=(-1),~x_2=2$$
And in between y'<0 so y is decreasing, but it doesn't matter since the theorem only demands y'≠0 in the open interval

Karol said:
$$y'=6x^2 - 6x -12$$
$$\left\{ \begin{array}{l} x_1+x_2=-\frac{b}{a}=1 \\ x_1\cdot x_2=\frac{c}{a}=(-2) \end{array}\right.$$
$$x_1=(-1),~x_2=2$$
And in between y'<0 so y is decreasing, but it doesn't matter since the theorem only demands y'≠0 in the open interval
Those are the correct values for which y' = 0, but why must it be that y has to be zero between x = -1 and x = 0?

Your thread title mentions Rolle's Theorem, but I don't see that this theorem is applicable in your problem. More to the point would be the Intermediate Value Theorem.

Mark44 said:
Those are the correct values for which y' = 0, but why must it be that y has to be zero between x = -1 and x = 0?

Your thread title mentions Rolle's Theorem, but I don't see that this theorem is applicable in your problem. More to the point would be the Intermediate Value Theorem.
The author of the problem was probably thinking about the not more than 1 zero part. The IVT gives you at least one zero and if you had two then Rolle's Theorem comes into play.

Yes, with the Intermediate Value Theorem:
Capture.JPG

So i even don't need to prove y decreases (by proving y'<0)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 830
Karol said:
Yes, with the Intermediate Value Theorem:
View attachment 231302
So i even don't need to prove y decreases (by proving y'<0)
You may not " need to prove y decreases (by proving y'<0). "
However, the fact that ƒ'(x) < 0 for x ∈ [ −1, 2 ] is a reasonable way to show that ##\ f(x)=2x^3-3x^2-12x-6 \ ## decreases on that interval, so ##\ f(x)\ ## has at most one zero on that interval.

That together with the Intermediate Value Theorem is sufficient to satisfy the given problem.

SammyS said:
You may not " need to prove y decreases (by proving y'<0). "
However, the fact that ƒ'(x) < 0 for x ∈ [ −1, 2 ] is a reasonable way to show that ##\ f(x)=2x^3-3x^2-12x-6 \ ## decreases on that interval, so ##\ f(x)\ ## has at most one zero on that interval.

That together with the Intermediate Value Theorem is sufficient to satisfy the given problem.
This is exactly what I had in mind in my previous post.

Why with the Mean Value Theorem and Rolle's Theorem there is only one root (y=0) if f(a) and f(b) have opposite signs?
The Mean Value Theorem says there is at least one root, what is the role of Rolle's theorem in that there is only one root? why does it make this if y'≠0?
Rolle's theorem is applicable if f(a)=f(b)=0, here they aren't

@Karol, you know that f(-1) > 0 and f(0) < 0, and that f is decreasing on the interval [-1, 0], and that f is continuous for all real numbers. The Mean Value Theorem guarantees that f will take on all values between f(-1) and f(0), so for some number c, f(c) must be zero. Because f is decreasing on the interval [-1, 0], it can't cross the x-axis twice, thus there can be only one zero on that interval.

Karol said:
Why with the Mean Value Theorem and Rolle's Theorem there is only one root (y=0) if f(a) and f(b) have opposite signs?

We are talking about this particular function on this particular interval. If f(a) and f(b) have opposite signs the IVT guarantees at least on root between a and b. There may be more.
The Mean Value Theorem says there is at least one root,

No, you mean the Intermediate Value Theorem (IVT), not the mean value theorem.

what is the role of Rolle's theorem in that there is only one root? why does it make this if y'≠0?
Rolle's theorem is applicable if f(a)=f(b)=0, here they aren't
To show this function doesn't have more than one root, there are two ways. One is to note the function is strictly decreasing so it couldn't have two roots. The other is to suppose it does have two roots, by way of contradiction. In that case Rolle's theorem would give another zero of f'(x) which gives a contradiction for this function.
[Edit:] Apparently Mark44 and I were typing at the same time.

Thank you all

1. What is Rolle's theorem?

Rolle's theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, and the values at the endpoints are equal, then there exists at least one point in the open interval where the derivative of the function is equal to zero.

2. How does Rolle's theorem show that there is only one root?

Rolle's theorem guarantees the existence of a point in the open interval where the derivative of the function is equal to zero. This point, known as the critical point, is where the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. Since the derivative of a function is the slope of the tangent line, if the derivative is zero at this point, the tangent line is horizontal and the function crosses the x-axis. Therefore, there can only be one root in the open interval.

3. Can Rolle's theorem be used for any function?

No, Rolle's theorem only applies to continuous and differentiable functions. This means that the function must be defined and have a derivative at every point in the closed interval. If a function is not continuous or differentiable on the interval, Rolle's theorem cannot be applied.

4. How is Rolle's theorem related to the mean value theorem?

Rolle's theorem is a special case of the mean value theorem. The mean value theorem states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point in the open interval where the derivative of the function is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval. Rolle's theorem is a specific case of this where the average rate of change is equal to zero.

5. Can Rolle's theorem be used to find the exact value of the root?

No, Rolle's theorem only guarantees the existence of a root in the open interval, but it does not provide the exact value. Additional methods, such as graphing or using other theorems like the Intermediate Value Theorem, are needed to find the exact value of the root.