Rolling motion of Cylinders and Plank on a Slope

In summary, the problem involves a system of a thin plank of mass M placed across two solid cylindrical rollers each of mass m, which is allowed to move freely down a slope of angle θ without slipping. The solution for part A involves identifying the types of motions, constructing FBDs and kinematic diagrams, stating relevant kinematic and kinetic relationships, and using systematic manipulations to obtain the desired results. In part B, the results obtained in part A are used to explain whether the acceleration of the plank changes as the system moves and the plank is no longer in the central position. The final solution should include separate FBDs for each rigid body and leave the force between the cylinder and the plank as a normal and tangential component,
Kingster426

Homework Statement

A thin plank of mass M is placed centrally across two solid cylindrical rollers each
of mass m, and the system is allowed to move freely from rest without slip down a
slope of angle θ as shown in the figure below.
(a) Derive expressions for the initial accelerations of the plank and the roller.
Your solution should include the following in a systematic way: Marks
(i) Identification of the types of ensuing motions of the plank and
the rollers,
(ii) free-body, kinematic and kinetic diagrams with an appropriate
global axes system clearly shown,
(iii) statements of relevant kinematic and kinetic relationships with
reference to your chosen global axes system in (ii), and
(iv) clear, logical and systematic manipulations of the relationships
you have stated in (iii) above to arrive at the desired results.
(b) Using the results you have obtained in part (a)(iv) above, explain
whether the acceleration of the plank changes as the system
moves so that the plank is no longer in the central position.

Figure:

upload_2018-12-16_22-2-47.png

Homework Equations

F=Ma
M=I

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_20181216_220649.jpg
IMG_20181216_220701.jpg
IMG_20181216_220710.jpg
IMG_20181216_220718.jpg

Correction to the last image (7) should equal a(G) not a(r)
Answers that I have are equations 7 and 8
So I am not sure if I have done this right so I am asking if someone could verify if correct explain the process that I should be using if I'm not. I have different answers to a friend doing the same question as well.
I am also unsure of what B is asking me to do.

Thanks in Anticipation

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-16_22-2-47.png
    upload_2018-12-16_22-2-47.png
    6 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_20181216_220649.jpg
    IMG_20181216_220649.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_20181216_220701.jpg
    IMG_20181216_220701.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_20181216_220710.jpg
    IMG_20181216_220710.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_20181216_220718.jpg
    IMG_20181216_220718.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 389
Physics news on Phys.org
Relevant equations bugged out. M=I(Alpha)

There should be a separate free body diagram for each rigid body. It should show only forces that apply directly to that body. E.g in the FBD for a roller there should not appear an Mg force; rather, a label for an unknown force or forces from the plank.
That approach would have avoided an error in your very first diagram.

Also, although the initial situation is the same for both rollers, it will not be true thereafter.

So like this?

Attachments

• IMG_20181216_235443.jpg
    IMG_20181216_235443.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 282
Kingster426 said:
So like this?
That's better, but you seem to be making an unwarranted assumption about the force between the cylinder and the plank.

Vertically down on the cylinder at the point of contact instead of at an angle?

Kingster426 said:
Vertically down on the cylinder at the point of contact instead of at an angle?
That's still an assumption. At this stage you have no firm basis for saying which way the force goes at that contact. Leave it open, e.g. as a normal and a tangential component.

Okay I then have to draw one for the plank? Also, any thoughts/help on part 4 of the part A?

Kingster426 said:
Okay I then have to draw one for the plank? Also, any thoughts/help on part 4 of the part A?
At some point you need to write down equations based on the FBDs. I'm not sure whether this is supposed to be in part iii or part iv, but please post an attempt.

1. What is rolling motion?

Rolling motion refers to the movement of an object, such as a cylinder or plank, as it rotates and translates at the same time. This type of motion is commonly seen on a slope or inclined plane.

2. How does the shape of a cylinder or plank affect its rolling motion on a slope?

The shape of a cylinder or plank can affect its rolling motion on a slope in several ways. A cylinder with a larger radius will have a greater rotational inertia, meaning it will be more difficult to start rolling but will maintain its rolling motion for a longer distance. A plank with a larger width will have a larger surface area in contact with the slope, providing more friction and slowing down its rolling motion.

3. What factors influence the speed of a cylinder or plank rolling down a slope?

The speed of a cylinder or plank rolling down a slope is influenced by the angle of the slope, the coefficient of friction between the object and the slope, and the rotational inertia of the object. A steeper slope, higher coefficient of friction, and larger rotational inertia will result in a slower rolling motion.

4. How does the mass of a cylinder or plank affect its rolling motion on a slope?

The mass of a cylinder or plank has a minimal effect on its rolling motion on a slope. This is because the mass is evenly distributed along the object, and the force of gravity acts on the object as a whole. However, a heavier object may have a slightly faster rolling motion as it has more inertia to overcome the friction on the slope.

5. How does the presence of external forces, such as wind or a push, affect the rolling motion of a cylinder or plank on a slope?

The presence of external forces, such as wind or a push, can affect the rolling motion of a cylinder or plank on a slope. These forces can increase or decrease the speed of the object depending on their direction and magnitude. For example, a strong headwind will slow down the rolling motion, while a push in the same direction as the object's motion will increase its speed.