Roots of Lie Algebra (Jones book)

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of a point in the chapter about Lie Groups, specifically the section on quantization of roots. The diagrams in fig 9.2 are generated from those in fig 9.1, but there is confusion about the number of roots shown in each diagram. There is also a mention of a better source for understanding su(3) algebras.
LAHLH
Hi,

If anyone has a copy of this book, I'm just struggling to understand a point in the chapter about Lie Groups. In particular the section on qunatization of the roots, on p177-178, he generates the diagrams in fig 9.2 from those of 9.1. I thought I understand this, but I don't understand how he gets from (c) in 9.1 to (c) in 9.2, I mean we have roots strings of length 2 and 3 for [tex]\alpha[/tex] strings through [tex] \beta [/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] strings through [tex] \alpha [/tex], then the two original roots themselves. So why don't we have 2+2+3=7 roots in total? the diagram (c) in fig 9.2 appears to show 8 in total?

If we look at going from (b) 9.1 to 9.2, this logic seems to work, we start with 2, each root string is length two, giving a total of 2+2+2=6 roots, sim for (a) going from 9.1 to 9.2, 2 originally, each root string of length 1, giving 2+1+1=4 roots in total.

Not sure if I'm understanding what he is doing correctly, I don't really understand why he is allowed to set p=0 either, or equivalently assume [tex] [E_{\beta},E_{\alpha}]=0[/tex]

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Jones misses a lot of steps (and I *think* there are also a couple of mistakes in there). A better source that is just as approachable (though also quite concise) is Georgi, 'Lie algebras and particle physics'. Your best bet though is probably Cornwell, Group Theory in Physics. This has a nice chapter (in volume 2 of the 3-volume series; otherwise toward the end of the shorter version 'Group theory in physics: an introduction') on su(3) algebras (which if I remember is the example Jones uses). You should get on better with either of them.

Thanks, I will give those a go.

1. What is a root of a Lie algebra?

A root of a Lie algebra is an element of the underlying vector space that, when acted upon by an element of the algebra, gives a scalar multiple of the original element. In other words, it is an eigenvector of the adjoint action of the algebra.

2. How are roots related to the structure of a Lie algebra?

Roots play a crucial role in determining the structure of a Lie algebra. They provide a way to decompose the algebra into simpler subalgebras, and they also give information about the representation theory of the algebra.

3. What is the significance of the Cartan matrix in the study of Lie algebras?

The Cartan matrix is a key tool in the classification of Lie algebras. It encodes the information about the roots of the algebra and allows for the identification of different types of algebras based on their root systems.

4. How does the concept of a root system relate to the roots of a Lie algebra?

A root system is a collection of vectors that satisfy certain geometric properties, and it is closely related to the roots of a Lie algebra. In fact, the root system is a fundamental object in the study of Lie algebras and provides a way to classify and understand their properties.

5. What are some applications of the theory of roots of Lie algebras?

The theory of roots of Lie algebras has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in the study of differential equations, algebraic geometry, and quantum mechanics, among other areas. In particular, the classification of Lie algebras and their representations has been crucial in understanding the symmetries and symmetries breaking in physical systems.