Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roots of Trigonometric polynomials?

1. Dec 1, 2007 #1
    I remember learning an iterative method that gives the answer to trigonometric polynomials such as

sin(x)-0.7-0.611cosx = 0

where x is the angle in degrees.

The person who I learned this method from called it the method for solving transcendentals. Now I can't seem to find any information on this method, could anyone please enlighten me by providing the information?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

4. Dec 1, 2007 #3
    The approach is similar, but I don't remember taking any derivatives when using the method I was taught, and I think it involved multiplying the result of iteration rather then subtracting (as with Newton's method).
  5. Dec 2, 2007 #4
    I don't know if there is one method known as the method for solving transcendentals; however, there are several iterative methods for solving equations such as the one you posted. For example, the most basic numerical root-finding method, the bisection method, could be used. And it doesn't use derivatives.

There is also the secant method.

And others.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?