Roots of Unity - is this correct?

In summary, to find the roots of an equation of the form zn-r eiψ=0, you can use the method of roots of unity by setting z=(r\exp(i\psi))^{1/n}(e^{i 2\pi k/n}), where k = 0, 1, 2, ..., n-1. This will give you the roots in the form r^{1/n} \left( \cos(\psi /n+2\pi k/n)+i \sin(\psi /n+2\pi k/n)\right). This method can be applied to all roots of unity problems.
Kaldanis
I'm going over some things I didn't do too well on in my latest Algebra test.
One question was: List all of the roots of [itex]x^{8}\:-1\:=0[/itex], and write them in the form [itex]a+bi[/itex].

So I knew I had to list all the 8th roots of unity. In other places in the test they used the notation [itex]e^{iθ}[/itex] and this was a huge problem for me, I didn't know that [itex]r\ast e^{iθ}[/itex]= [itex]r*(cos(θ)\:+isin(θ))[/itex].

What I'm looking for: [itex]e^{i*2\pi*\frac{k}{n}}[/itex], or in this case, [itex]e^{i*2\pi*\frac{k}{8}}[/itex], where k = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. (Could also write this as [itex]cos(\frac{2\pi*k}{8})\:+isin(\frac{2\pi*k}{8})[/itex] ).

For the 1st root: [itex]cos(\frac{2\pi*0}{8})\:+isin(\frac{2\pi*0}{8})\:=cos(0)\:+isin(0)[/itex] = [itex]1+0i\:=1[/itex]

For the 2nd root: [itex]cos(\frac{2\pi*1}{8})\:+isin(\frac{2\pi*1}{8})\:=cos(\frac{\pi}{4})\:+isin(\frac{\pi}{4})\:=\frac{ \sqrt{2}}{2}+\frac{ \sqrt{2}}{2}i[/itex]

For the 3rd root: [itex]cos(\frac{2\pi*2}{8})\:+isin(\frac{2\pi*2}{8})\:=cos(\frac{\pi}{2})\:+isin(\frac{\pi}{2})\:=0+1i\:=i[/itex]

For the 4th root: [itex]cos(\frac{2\pi*3}{8})\:+isin(\frac{2\pi*3}{8})\:=cos(\frac{3\pi}{4})\:+isin(\frac{3\pi}{4})\:=-\frac{ \sqrt{2}}{2}+\frac{ \sqrt{2}}{2}i[/itex]

5th root: -1
6th root: [itex]-\frac{ \sqrt{2}}{2}-\frac{ \sqrt{2}}{2}i[/itex]
7th root: -i
8th root:[itex]\frac{ \sqrt{2}}{2}-\frac{ \sqrt{2}}{2}i[/itex]So the correct answer to this question is [itex]±1,\:\:±i,\:\:and\:\:±\frac{ \sqrt{2}}{2}±\frac{ \sqrt{2}}{2}i[/itex]Is this right? And if I just apply the same method to other similar problems I should be fine?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaldanis said:
Is this right? And if I just apply the same method to other similar problems I should be fine?

Congratulation, you did a good job! Your derivation is rigth, and you can apply this method for all roots of unity.
If you need to find the roots of an equation zn-r e=0 do the following:

[tex]z=(r\exp(i\psi))^{1/n}(e^{i 2\pi k/n})=r^{1/n} e^{i(\psi /n+2\pi k/n)}=r^{1/n} \left( \cos(\psi /n+2\pi k/n)+i \sin(\psi /n+2\pi k/n)\right)[/tex]

ehild

1. What are the roots of unity?

The roots of unity are the values of x that satisfy the equation x^n = 1, where n is a positive integer.

2. How many roots of unity are there?

There are n distinct roots of unity, where n is the value of the exponent in the equation x^n = 1.

3. What is the significance of roots of unity?

Roots of unity are important in mathematics and physics, particularly in the study of complex numbers, trigonometry, and symmetry. They also have applications in signal processing and coding theory.

4. How do you find the roots of unity?

The roots of unity can be found using De Moivre's formula, which states that the nth roots of unity are given by the formula e^2πik/n, where k is an integer from 0 to n-1.

5. Can the roots of unity be negative or complex numbers?

Yes, the roots of unity can be negative or complex numbers. However, they must still satisfy the equation x^n = 1.