Rope Sliding Over Friction less Peg

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of obtaining an equation for the length of a uniform rope hanging to the right of a peg without friction. The net force equation is set up and manipulated to eliminate M and A. The resulting equation is a second order, linear differential equation which can be solved by finding the general solution of the homogeneous equation and adding a particular solution. Different steps are discussed, such as using the solution in the form x=ekt and finding the possible values of k. A link to further information on solving linear differential equations is also provided.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

A uniform rope of mass M and length L is hung off a small peg. The rope moves without friction. Obtain an equation for the length of the rope hanging to the right of the peg, which is denoted x(t).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a net force equation: F_net= Axg-A(L-x)g where A is defined as M/L
with manipulation that equation is equivalent to:
M(d^2x/dt^2)= 2Axg-AgL... now how do I solve that equation for x(t)... Please help.. I know I have to separate the variables but I do not know how to solve a second order differential...Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bmb2009 said:

Homework Statement

A uniform rope of mass M and length L is hung off a small peg. The rope moves without friction. Obtain an equation for the length of the rope hanging to the right of the peg, which is denoted x(t).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a net force equation: F_net= Axg-A(L-x)g where A is defined as M/L
with manipulation that equation is equivalent to:
M(d^2x/dt^2)= 2Axg-AgL... now how do I solve that equation for x(t)... Please help.. I know I have to separate the variables but I do not know how to solve a second order differential...Thanks

You can eliminate M and A by substituting A= M/L.
Rearranging, it becomes

d2 x/dt2-(2g/L)x=-g.

That is a second order, linear differential equation.
The left hand side is the homogeneous part. You get the general solution of such an inhomogeneous equation by solving the homogeneous equation

d2 x/dt2-2(g/L)x=0

and adding a particular solution to the general solution of the homogeneous equation.

For the homogeneous equation, try the solution in the form

x=ekt. , with k a constant. Find the possible values of k.

A particular solution of the equation is when the rope is in equilibrium and the acceleration is zero.

See, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_differential_equation

ehild

What is "Rope Sliding Over Frictionless Peg"?

"Rope Sliding Over Frictionless Peg" is a physics problem that involves a rope sliding over a smooth, vertical peg with no friction. It is used to demonstrate concepts related to forces, motion, and energy.

What are the key elements of this problem?

The key elements of this problem are the rope, the peg, and gravity. The rope is assumed to be massless and inextensible, and the peg is assumed to be smooth and frictionless. Gravity is the only external force acting on the system.

What are the main equations used to solve this problem?

The main equations used to solve this problem are Newton's second law (F=ma), the work-energy theorem (W=ΔKE), and the principle of conservation of mechanical energy (KE+PE=constant). These equations are used to analyze the forces and motion of the rope and peg.

What is the significance of this problem in physics?

This problem is significant because it illustrates important concepts in physics, such as forces, motion, and energy. It also demonstrates the relationship between these concepts and how they can be used to solve real-world problems.

What are some real-world applications of this problem?

This problem has applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and sports. For example, it can be used to design pulley systems or determine the tension in ropes used for rock climbing. It can also be used to analyze the motion of objects on inclined planes or roller coasters.