What is the vertical velocity of the rope just as it slides off the peg?

In summary, the question is asking for the vertical velocity of a limp rope with a mass of 2.4 kg and a length of 1.5 m, initially at rest, as it slides off a frictionless peg with negligible radius. The rope is hanging at a height of 0.48 m. The proposed solution using conservation of energy seems incorrect and it is suggested to use Newton's laws or conservation of energy to set up a differential equation, as the acceleration will not be constant in this system.
SenatorAstro

Homework Statement

A limp rope with a mass of 2.4 kg and a length of 1.5 m is hung, initially at rest, on a frictionless peg that has a negligible radius, as shown in the Figure. y1 is equal to 0.48 m. What is the vertical velocity of the rope just as the end slides off the peg?

Homework Equations

PE = mgh
KE = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Because the kinematics of this system seemed incredibly complicated, I figured it best to use conservation of energy in the system. Knowing that the center of mass will fall 0.48 meters, I assumed:

mgΔH = 1/2mv^2
2.4*9.81*0.48 = 1/2*2.4*v^2
v = 3.06881084461 m/s

Unfortunately, this seems to be incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
How do you know the answer is incorrect?
Some of the rope is falling, but some of the rope is lifting. How did you account for the work done lifting part of the rope?

The behavior is not kinematic - since the acceleration will not be constant.
You can, however, use Newton's laws or conservation of energy to set up a differential equation.

Last edited:
SenatorAstro said:

Homework Statement

A limp rope with a mass of 2.4 kg and a length of 1.5 m is hung, initially at rest, on a frictionless peg that has a negligible radius, as shown in the Figure. y1 is equal to 0.48 m. What is the vertical velocity of the rope just as the end slides off the peg?
I do not see any figure.

ehild

Simon Bridge said:
The behavior is not kinematic - since the acceleration will not be constant.
As I understand the term, kinematics concerns the geometry of motion, such as the movement of linkages. It does not concern itself with forces, energy, etc.

Fersure - constant acceleration is a subset of kinematics, which is, strictly, the geometry of motion.

Kinematics at the secondary education level, is usually given as the geometry of motion where acceleration is a constant.
That is the level I was answering at - leaving OP to contradict me if I got it wrong. I suspected that OP did not want to use the suvat (or kinematic) equations. Probably should have been more careful.

kinematics,
branch of physics and a subdivision of classical mechanics concerned with the geometrically possible motion of a body or system of bodies without consideration of the forces involved (i.e., causes and effects of the motions).

from Encyclopedia Britannica.ehild

My apologies. Here's the image.

Attachments

• Rope.jpg
    Rope.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 625
Cool - that's what I figured: what about the questions in post #2?

1. How does the angle of the peg affect the rope sliding off?

The angle of the peg can greatly affect the rope sliding off. If the peg is at a steep angle, the rope may slide off more easily due to the force of gravity pulling it down. On the other hand, if the peg is at a shallow angle, the rope may have more surface area to grip onto, making it less likely to slide off.

2. What is the relationship between the weight of the rope and its tendency to slide off the peg?

The weight of the rope can play a significant role in its tendency to slide off the peg. A heavier rope will have more force pulling it down, making it more likely to slide off. However, a lighter rope may have less friction and be more slippery, also increasing the likelihood of it sliding off.

3. How does the type of material of the rope and peg affect the sliding off phenomenon?

The type of material of the rope and peg can have a significant impact on the sliding off phenomenon. A rougher or more textured material may provide more friction and grip, reducing the likelihood of the rope sliding off. Conversely, a smoother material may be more slippery and increase the likelihood of sliding off.

4. Is there a difference in the sliding off behavior between a horizontal and vertical peg?

Yes, there can be a difference in the sliding off behavior between a horizontal and vertical peg. A horizontal peg may provide more surface area for the rope to grip onto, making it less likely to slide off. On the other hand, a vertical peg may have a steeper angle, making it easier for the rope to slide off due to the force of gravity.

5. What factors, other than those mentioned, can affect the rope sliding off a peg?

Other factors that can affect the rope sliding off a peg include the length and thickness of the rope, the speed at which it is sliding, the tension or tightness of the rope, and any external forces acting on the rope. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and moisture can also impact the behavior of the rope.