Block of mass M attached to rope of mass m

AspiringPhysicist12
Homework Statement:
A uniform rope of mass m and length l is attached to a block of
mass M. The rope is pulled with force F. Find the tension at distance
x from the end of the rope. Neglect gravity.
Relevant Equations:
T(0) = T(L) = Ma
We have the string's mass constraint m(x) = m(x/L). The block is accelerated right by force T(x=0) = Ma, where a = F / m + M.

But at the point where the force is applied (i.e. x = L), I believe we have m(L/L)a = ma = F - T(L). But this would imply T(L) = F - ma = F - m(F / m + M) = F(M / m + M) = Ma. I know it doesn't make sense to have T(0) = T(L) since the rope has mass, but what am I doing wrong here?

Attachments

• 1653505282845.png
    1653505282845.png
    711 bytes · Views: 36

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Homework Statement:: A uniform rope of mass m and length l is attached to a block of
Relevant Equations:: T(0) = T(L) = Ma

We have the string's mass constraint m(x) = m(x/L). The block is accelerated right by force T(x=0) = Ma, where a = F / m + M.

But at the point where the force is applied (i.e. x = L), I believe we have m(L/L)a = ma = F - T(L). But this would imply T(L) = F - ma = F - m(F / m + M) = F(M / m + M) = Ma. I know it doesn't make sense to have T(0) = T(L) since the rope has mass, but what am I doing wrong here?
I can't follow what you are doing. Why not start with the tension at ##x = 0##?

AspiringPhysicist12
Sorry let me reword it a bit. If I use the constraint T(0) = Ma, then that gives me a final answer of T(x) = F(m(x/L) + M)/(m + M). This would mean T(0) = Ma as expected, but also that T(L) = F. I don't understand why T(L) = F.

erobz
Gold Member
Homework Statement:: A uniform rope of mass m and length l is attached to a block of
Relevant Equations:: T(0) = T(L) = Ma

I believe you want to start by presenting FBD's of the block and an arbitrary length of rope ## x ##, and one of the remaining length of rope.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Sorry let me reword it a bit. If I use the constraint T(0) = Ma, then that gives me a final answer of T(x) = F(m(x/L) + M)/(m + M). This would mean T(0) = Ma as expected, but also that T(L) = F. I don't understand why T(L) = F.
What do you think it should be?

Hint: consider that the end of the rope has a small handle of small mass ##m_0##. Find the tension in the rope attached to the handle. Now take ##m_0 = 0##.

Likes AspiringPhysicist12
AspiringPhysicist12
Right, it makes sense in that case but that would mean the mass at the end of the rope is 0? Why do we take the rope's mass as zero there and as the entire mass m where the rope and block meet.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Right, it makes sense in that case but that would mean the mass at the end of the rope is 0? Why do we take the rope's mass as zero there and as the entire mass m where the rope and block meet.
It was just to give you an idea on why the tension must be ##F## at the end of the rope where there is no more mass.

erobz
Gold Member
I think at the "end" of the rope the tension must be ## F ## because it is accelerating the mass ## M ## and all of the mass of the rope ## m_r ## at ##a##. Near the block, the tension force is a reaction to accelerating the mass ## M ## at ##a##, and thus will be less than ##F##

Does that explain it, or have I not understood it properly myself?

Likes AspiringPhysicist12
AspiringPhysicist12
Ok I got it now thanks.

Suggested for: Block of mass M attached to rope of mass m

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views