Speed of a rope sliding off a peg?

In summary, the question asks about the speed of a flexible rope of mass m and length L = L1 + L2 hanging over a frictionless peg, assuming the rope is uniform and the masses of each section are concentrated at the midpoint. The speed can be found by setting the change in kinetic energy equal to the negative change in gravitational potential energy, with the final height being L/2 and the initial height being L2/2 + L1. The masses do not cancel, and the final velocity can be expressed in terms of L1 and L2. The change in potential energy is with respect to the center of mass of the system, which can be calculated using the mass density λ=m/L.
Kavorka
A flexible rope of mass m and length L = L1 + L2 hangs over a frictionless peg. What is the speed of the rope when it just slides off the peg? (it is reasonable to assume that the rope is uniform and that the masses of each section 1 and 2 are concentrated at the midpoint)

In the picture L1 is shorter than L2. I set the change in kinetic energy equal to the negative change in gravitational potential energy, with the final height (of the center of mass of the rope) being L/2 and the initial height being L2/2 + L1:

(1/2)mv^2 = mg(L/2 - L2/2 - L1)
The masses cancel and I got that v = √(gL1)

I'm just asking about this because setting the heights right in terms of L, L1 and L2 is slightly confusing, and the question seems to ask for an actual speed but I think you can only find it in terms of the length.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kavorka said:
A flexible rope of mass m and length L = L1 + L2 hangs over a frictionless peg. What is the speed of the rope when it just slides off the peg? (it is reasonable to assume that the rope is uniform and that the masses of each section 1 and 2 are concentrated at the midpoint)

In the picture L1 is shorter than L2. I set the change in kinetic energy equal to the negative change in gravitational potential energy, with the final height (of the center of mass of the rope) being L/2 and the initial height being L2/2 + L1:

(1/2)mv^2 = mg(L/2 - L2/2 - L1)
The masses cancel and I got that v = √(gL1)

I'm just asking about this because setting the heights right in terms of L, L1 and L2 is slightly confusing, and the question seems to ask for an actual speed but I think you can only find it in terms of the length.
You are correct to conclude that the velocity will depend on the length -- or rather more precisely, depend on the two lengths, L1 & L2.

What is the mass of length L1 relative to the total mass, m ?

What is the mass of length L2 relative to the total mass, m ?

m1 = m(L1/L) and m2 = m(L2/L)

Kavorka said:
m1 = m(L1/L) and m2 = m(L2/L)
Thus the masses don't cancel.

When I use the conservation of mechanical energy though with the relative heights: h2 = L/2 and h1 = L2/2 + L1 and thus a change in height of L/2 - (L2/2 + L1), and then substitute in L = L1 + L2, the L2's cancel and I'm just left with the velocity in terms of L1. Is this incorrect?

Kavorka said:
When I use the conservation of mechanical energy though with the relative heights: h2 = L/2 and h1 = L2/2 + L1 and thus a change in height of L/2 - (L2/2 + L1), and then substitute in L = L1 + L2, the L2's cancel and I'm just left with the velocity in terms of L1. Is this incorrect?
Δ(m1gh1) = 0 , assuming this is the change in P.E. for length 1, because, Δh for the section of rope is zero.

However, for the change in P.E. for length 2, it is true that Δh = L1 , but the mass of the portion
is not m.What is the mass involved when finding the final overall Kinetic Energy ?

I'm a bit confused. Can't you relate the change in potential energy for the entire rope to the change in kinetic energy for the entire rope? So the mass cancels on both side and mass is no longer a factor? As long as the initial and final height for the change in potential energy is the location of the center of mass of the rope.

Kavorka said:
I'm a bit confused. Can't you relate the change in potential energy for the entire rope to the change in kinetic energy for the entire rope? So the mass cancels on both side and mass is no longer a factor? As long as the initial and final height for the change in potential energy is the location of the center of mass of the rope.
Show what you get for all those quantities.

... but as I see it now, no, the mass doesn't cancel.

Kavorka said:

Yes you can .

But the change in potential energy is with respect to the Center of Mass of the system.First calculate the COM of the rope at t=0 .Then at t =t when the rope leaves the peg .The difference in the heights Δh is what you are going to use in the change in potential energy mgΔh .

I think you are not calculating the COM properly .For calculating the masses of the lengths ,work with the mass density λ=m/L .The masses on the two sides are unequal.

Last edited:

1. What factors affect the speed of a rope sliding off a peg?

The speed of a rope sliding off a peg is affected by several factors, including the length and thickness of the rope, the angle at which it is pulled, and the material of the peg and rope. The force applied to the rope, friction between the rope and peg, and air resistance can also impact the speed.

2. How does the angle at which the rope is pulled affect its speed?

The speed of a rope sliding off a peg increases as the angle at which it is pulled becomes steeper. This is because the steeper angle increases the force pulling the rope, overcoming friction and increasing speed.

3. Does the material of the peg and rope affect the speed?

Yes, the material of the peg and rope can have an impact on the speed. For example, a smoother peg and a slicker rope will have less friction, resulting in a higher speed. Additionally, a heavier or denser rope may be more resistant to air resistance and thus have a higher speed.

4. How does the length of the rope affect its speed?

The length of the rope can affect its speed in several ways. A longer rope will have more surface area and thus more friction, slowing down the speed. However, a longer rope also has more potential energy and can overcome this friction to increase speed. Ultimately, the length of the rope must be considered in conjunction with other factors to determine its overall impact on speed.

5. Is there a limit to the speed a rope can slide off a peg?

Technically, there is no limit to the speed a rope can slide off a peg. However, as the speed increases, other factors such as air resistance and the strength of the rope and peg must be considered. At a certain point, these factors may prevent the rope from sliding off any faster.