Ross chapter 7 The game of clue

• Thread starter mattclgn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the game of Clue involves six subjects, six weapons, and nine rooms. One of each is randomly chosen and the object of the game is to guess the three. There are 324 possible solutions for this version of the game. After the selection is made, each player is given three cards. S, W, R represent suspects, weapons, and rooms respectively in the set of three cards given to a specific player. X denotes the number of possible solutions after a player observes their three cards. X can be expressed as (6-S)*(6-W)*(9-R). The expected value for X is 199.6. This can be found by taking the sum of the probability of each combination times the number of solutions for
mattclgn

Homework Statement

The game of Clue involves six subjects, 6 weapons and 9 rooms. One of each is randomly chosen and the object of the game is to guess the three.[/B]
a) how many solutions are possible
In one version of the game, after the selection is made, each of the players is then randomly given three of the remaining cards. S, W, R represent suspects weapons, and rooms in the set of three cards given to a specified player. lex x denote the number of solutions that are possible after that player observes their three cards
b) Express X in terms of S,W,R
c) Find E[x]

Homework Equations

[/B]
Not sure n * k / N . The mean of a hypergeometric maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

.[/B]
a) is 324 since 6*6*9
b) is X= (6-S, W-6, R-9)...I think.
c) is where it gets tricky. The back of the book said the answer was 199.6. I think it's Hypergeometric. How many players am I working with here? It doesn't say... I mean, if i have 3 of them, so...in the first there are 5*5*8 which is approx above, but that can't be it. is it there are 18 cards and you take three and then do a combination of what they could be and that is probability and you multiply by whatever remains by the combination of whatever it can be?

Physics news on Phys.org
After reading the question a few times, it seems like you are choosing 3 cards, so you have options of SSS, WWW, RRR, ..., SWR.
Each combination has a probability associated with it and a number of solutions based on the set of 3 cards.
Find the expected value as ##\sum_{I=1}^n p(X)*X ##.

RUber said:
After reading the question a few times, it seems like you are choosing 3 cards, so you have options of SSS, WWW, RRR, ..., SWR.
I think the OP is using S, W, R to represent the number of cards of each type, so S+W+R=3.
mattclgn said:
b) is X= (6-S, W-6, R-9)...I think.
Isn't X a count of possible solutions, not a vector? Also, I believe you mean 6-W etc.

When I worked this out the first time, I failed to account for the prior draw of the real solution from each of the categories and got 198.75.
The total number ways to draw the 3 cards would be 18C3, and the number of ways to draw any combination would be (5CS)*(5CW)*(8CR). Using this, I was able to validate the book's solution you posted above.

1. What is "The Game of Clue"?

The Game of Clue, also known as Clue or Cluedo, is a board game that involves players trying to solve a murder mystery by gathering clues and making deductions.

2. Who created "The Game of Clue"?

The Game of Clue was created by Anthony E. Pratt and was first released in 1949 by the British game company, Waddingtons.

3. What are the basic rules of "The Game of Clue"?

The game is typically played by 3-6 players, with each player taking on the role of a character trying to solve the murder. Players move around the board to gather clues and make deductions, using cards to eliminate suspects, weapons, and rooms. The player who correctly guesses the murderer, weapon, and room wins the game.

4. Has "The Game of Clue" changed over the years?

Yes, the game has gone through several changes since its release in 1949. The original game featured 10 characters, 9 weapons, and 9 rooms, but over the years, many different versions have been released with different variations of characters, weapons, and rooms. The game has also been adapted into movies, TV shows, and video games.

5. Is "The Game of Clue" based on a real murder?

No, the game is entirely fictional and does not depict a real murder. However, it is rumored that the game was inspired by a murder case from 1920s England.