Rotating mass in vehicle drivetrain ?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
jgoff14
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I need help coming up with a formula for the following: If you have a source of power like from a motor that is coupled to a drivetrain such as what you would find in a car then what would be required to determine how much power is lost to the system? Not talking about basic physics with no external forces... ie calculating power loss from the motor to the wheel taking into account losses for the drive shaft, transmission, the fact that they are rotating, friction the rubber of the tire as it is in contact with the surface... I have access to all the information I need variable wise, just need help with the formula. Thanks all.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There are so many factors that you will invariably miss a few. 1 good way to do this would be...

Set up software and/or hardware to measure fuel consumption and acceleration. The energy density of gasoline is known (google it), the acceleration along with the mass of the vehicle will tell you how much of the energy makes it into the k.e. of the vehicle. The difference between the 2 is the waste. It will be different at different speeds, throttle openings, inclines, air temperatures, etc. Plug all your data into a spread sheet and find a formula that matches.
 
Thanks I really have nothing better to do so I will get on it! lol