Rotating/overextreme Planck BH?

• Thread starter tzimie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planck
In summary, there are new theories surrounding black holes, such as "Planck stars" and "no Hawking radiation but a bounce in slow motion". However, these theories do not seem to address old black hole puzzles such as rotating black holes, overextreme black holes, and naked singularities. It is unclear if these theories favor Einstein-Cartan over classic general relativity. Upcoming talks by Carlo Rovelli and Hal Haggard may provide more information on these topics.
tzimie
I see there are new BH theories: "Planck stars" and "no Hawking radiation but a bounce in slow motion"

What's about old BH puzzles from that point of view: rotating BH, overextreme BH, naked singularities? Do these theories favor Einstein-Cartan over classic GR?

Physics news on Phys.org
tzimie said:
I see there are new BH theories: "Planck stars" and "no Hawking radiation but a bounce in slow motion"

What's about old BH puzzles from that point of view: rotating BH, overextreme BH, naked singularities? Do these theories favor Einstein-Cartan over classic GR?

Tzimie, I was hoping someone else with more information would answer your question, but that hasn't happened so far. I see lots of papers coming out all the time in which the BH is nonsingular with the singularity replaced by a bounce, but I have not see any of them treating the special cases you mention!

Carlo Rovelli will be giving 3 seminar talks on Planck star model of BH--the slow motion bounce ending in gamma ray burst (GRB). Two in September: at ISAS Trieste, and at Uni Roma. One online at the ILQGS on 14 October.
http://www.sissa.it/app/esqg2014/
http://ctcqg2014.relativerest.org/
http://relativity.phys.lsu.edu/ilqgs/
Today his co-author Hal Haggard is giving a talk at UC Berkeley. I plan to attend. Maybe I will know a little more by the end of the day and be better able to reply to you.

Here is the ILQGS schedule for Fall 2014, slides and audio are posted as the talks are delivered in case you want to watch any.
Code:
Sep 2	 [B]Casimir effect on a quantum geometry[/B]	 Javier Olmedo	 LSU
Sep 16   [B]Cov LQG: classical action, phase space & gauge symmetries[/B]  Wolfgang Wieland PSU
Sep 30	 TBA	 Brajesh Gupt	 PSU
Oct 14	 [B]White holes[/B]	 Carlo Rovelli	 CNRS Marseille
Oct 28	 [B]New applications for LQG[/B]	 Jerzy Lewandowski	 University of Warszaw
Nov 11	 [B]Lorentz transformations from abstract quantum theory[/B]	 Philip Hoehn  PI
Nov 25	 TBA	 Derek Wise	 FAU Erlangen
Dec 9	 [B]Invariance of Connections and Measures in LQC[/B]  Maximilian Hanusch Uni Paderborn

1. What is a Rotating Planck BH?

A Rotating Planck BH refers to a type of black hole that is formed at the Planck scale, which is the smallest possible scale in the universe. These black holes are characterized by their high rotation speed, which can approach the speed of light, and their extremely small size.

2. How is a Rotating Planck BH different from a regular black hole?

A Rotating Planck BH differs from a regular black hole in several ways. Firstly, it is much smaller in size, with a radius of only 10^-35 meters compared to the typical black hole radius of several kilometers. Additionally, it has a much higher rotation speed, which affects its gravitational pull and other properties.

3. What makes a Rotating Planck BH so extreme?

The extreme nature of a Rotating Planck BH is due to its small size and high rotation speed. These characteristics result in intense gravitational forces and extreme tidal forces, making it one of the most extreme objects in the universe.

4. Can a Rotating Planck BH be observed or detected?

Currently, there is no known way to directly observe or detect a Rotating Planck BH. This is due to its small size and the fact that it is hidden from view by its event horizon, which is the point of no return for anything that gets too close.

5. What are the implications of a Rotating Planck BH for our understanding of the universe?

Studying Rotating Planck BHs can help scientists better understand the fundamental laws of physics, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. These extreme objects also provide insights into the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales, which can lead to advancements in fields such as cosmology and particle physics.