1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating square coil in constant magnetic field

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is one square coil of area A that rotates with speed [tex]\omega[/tex] around axis y. The magnetic field is uniform and points to the z direction. Show that the torque is [tex]\frac{A^2B^2N^2\omega sin\omega t}{R}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]T = |\underline{m} \times \underline{B}|[/tex]
    [tex]\underline{m} = N I A[/tex]
    Thus [tex]T = NIABcos(\omega t)[/tex]

Unsure about these:
    [tex]EMF = NIR[/tex]
    [tex]EMF = - N\frac{d \Phi}{d t}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Now I have read many similar questions on this forums, and I think I am close to fully understand the problem itself, but there is a piece missing, and I don't see from my initial equations where I am going wrong.

I calculate I via the EMF, substitute it into T. But with this I end up with one N, whereas the supposed solution that I need to prove in the exercise is [tex]T = \frac{A^2B^2\omega sin^2\omega t}{R}[/tex].

I am assuming one of the initial equations wrong, I suspect the EMF section, because I not understand it. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2
    Thinking of V that is probably wrong, the number of loops has nothing to do with the potential, so [tex]V = IR[/tex].

So EMF is [tex]-N \cdot \frac{d \Phi}{d t}[/tex] because we take [tex]\Phi[/tex] at each loop, and just sum those up. I am wondering now why can we actually do that, since in a different alignment the flux in each loop must be different.

4. Apr 18, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The flux is the same for each loop, so yes EMF = -N dΦ/dt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook