1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating two different complex numbers

1. Jul 7, 2010 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Let's say that I have two complex numbers, a and b, with different arguments. From a few "experiments" with a computer, I think that there always exists a positive integer n such that -pi/2 <= Arg(a^n) <= pi/2 and pi/2 <= Arg(b^n) <= 3pi/2.
    In other words, if Arg(a) = thetaA and Arg(b) = thetaB, then there exists an n such that
    -pi/2 <= n*thetaA <= pi/2 and pi/2 <= n*thetaB <= 3pi/2 up to a multiple of 2pi.
    Is this true? If so, how can I start to prove it?
    Thanks,
    Daniel

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2010 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

It's not true for a = -1 and b = 1. In general, if both a and b have rational arguments they will only have a finite number of integer power images so it seems likely that you may find a whole range of argument pairs for which your condition will never be satisfied.

4. Jul 7, 2010 #3
    Do you just need them to be in different halves? In other words, is it sufficient that
    [tex]
    |\textrm{arg}(a^n)-\textrm{arg}(b^n)| = n\cdot |\textrm{arg}(a)-\textrm{arg}(b)| \geq \pi
    [/tex]
    -modulo [itex] 2\pi[/itex] of course?

As Flip Larsen commented, you can't necessarily pick which is in which half...the above is definitely true, though. The proof is pretty much immediate.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook