Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation matrix between two orthonormal frames

1. Jul 7, 2015 #1
    I am reading a paper and am stuck on the following snippet.

Given two orthonormal frames of vectors ##(\bf n1,n2,n3)## and ##(\bf n'1,n'2,n'3)## we can form two matrices ##N= (\bf n1,n2,n3)## and ##N' =(\bf n'1,n'2,n'3)##. In the case of a rigid body, where the two frames are related via rotations and translations only, we can can calculate the rotation matrix between the two frames as:
    ##R = N' N^{T} ##.

My linear algebra is quite rusty and I am having some trouble understanding why this is true. Thanks for looking.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let ##\{\mathbf{e}_i\}## be the standard basis ##\mathbf{e}_1 = (1,0,0)^T,\ldots##. Then ##N^T## is the change of basis from ##\{ \mathbf{n}_i \}## to ##\{\mathbf{e}_i\}##, since we can show that ##\mathbf{e}_1 = N^T \mathbf{n}_1##, etc. Similarly, ##N'## is the change of basis from ##\{\mathbf{e}_i\}## to ##\{ \mathbf{n}'_i \}##. Therefore the change of basis from ##\{ \mathbf{n}_i \}## to ##\{ \mathbf{n}'_i \}## is given by the product ##N' N^T##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook